Solving Relativity Problems: 4 Questions Exam Prep Help Needed!

• Thread starter pari786
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary: It's all in your notes. The red ship is moving, so the distance between the planets as measured by the science officer on the red ship is greater than 17 light years because the ship is travelling towards the planets. However, the distance between the planets as measured by the science officer on the red ship is less than 17 light years because the ship is travelling away from the planets.
pari786
1. Two ships make a trip from the planet Melmack to the planet Ork. The red ship makes the trip at a speed of 0.35c relative to the planets. The blue ship makes the trip at a speed of 0.48c relative to the planets, and while traveling, its science officer measures the distance between the planets to be 17 light-years.

a) What is the proper length of the trip between these planets?
b) Find the length (in light-years) the red ship's science officer measures the trip to be, as
they travel.

2. Two events occur. Juan measures a time interval between the events of Δt=3.5 yrs and a distance between the events Δx=2.2 light-years.

a) Find the space-time interval Δs2.
b) Is this interval space-like, time-like, or light-like?
c) Will any observer observe the events as simultaneous? If so, how does that observer
move relative to Juan? If not, prove it.

3. A ruby laser at rest would emit light of wavelength 694 nm. You observe a moving ruby laser to emit light of wavelength 702 nm.
a) Is the laser moving toward you or away from you?
b) How fast?

4. A Borg spaceship is on its way to Earth. A Federation spaceship is sent from Earth at a speed of 0.9c to intercept it. The speed of the Borg ship relative to the Federation ship is 0.95c.

a) Draw a diagram, and label a positive direction.
b) What is the speed and direction of the Borg ship relative to the Earth?

Does anyone have any idea about these four problems. One of these is going to be on my exam tomorrow. I'll be really and infact a million times thankful to anyone who helps me with these problems soon. very soon please because I'm not good in physics. I really need to do this exam good. Please somebody help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got to have at least some idea about one of these questions, right?

How are the ships and planets aligned ? This is needed to solve the problems. The answers can be found by applying the relativistic formulae you got in your notes or textbook.

If the blue ship is lined up with the planets, the distance between them as measured from the blue ship is given by the 'length contraction' formula. Look this up.

1. What is relativity and why is it important in science?

Relativity is a theory in physics that explains how objects move and interact with each other in the universe. It is important in science because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in motion.

2. What are some common challenges when solving relativity problems?

Some common challenges when solving relativity problems include understanding the concept of spacetime, dealing with complex mathematical equations, and visualizing the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. How can I prepare for a relativity problems exam?

To prepare for a relativity problems exam, it is important to review the fundamental principles of relativity, practice solving various types of problems, and familiarize yourself with the equations and formulas commonly used in relativity calculations.

4. What are some helpful tips for solving relativity problems?

Some helpful tips for solving relativity problems include carefully reading the problem and identifying what is given and what is being asked, drawing diagrams to visualize the situation, using the correct equations and units, and checking your answer for reasonableness.