What is analytic continuation?

In summary, analytic continuation is the process of extending the domain of a function without losing its differentiability, also known as holomorphic or meromorphic property. This concept is often used in complex analysis, specifically in the study of the Riemann zeta function. It involves finding another Laurent series that overlaps with the original one, allowing for a larger domain of validity. However, not all power series have continuations, as there are cases where the function is only defined on a specific domain. To understand the Riemann zeta function, a strong background in analysis and number theory is necessary, but there are also simpler resources available for those interested in a general understanding.
cragwolf
I don't understand the concept of analytic continuation, at any level (I have some small amount of experience with introductory undergraduate-level complex analysis from a long time ago, mostly forgotten):

1) Firstly, why would you want to apply analytic continuation on some complex function?

2) Surely if you apply analytic continuation on some complex function, then it's no longer the same function?

3) What is analytic continuation, really?

I came across this concept when I was reading about the Riemann hypothesis in some popular articles and books. They mentioned that the Riemann zeta function is the infinite sum of [tex]1/n^s[/tex] over natural numbers, n, but this is only the case when the real part of s is greater than 1; values of the Riemann zeta function for the rest of the complex plane may be found via analytic continuation.

What kind of book would give me an introduction to analytic continuation? A complex analysis book? Any recommendations? Also, what sort of mathematical background do I need to be able to understand one of the standard books devoted to the Riemann zeta function, like "Riemann's Zeta Function" by Harold M. Edwards, or "The Theory of the Riemann Zeta-Function" by E. C. Titchmarsh?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you have some laurent series (about 0), with radius of convergence R. Then you might want to know of there were some analyitc function that agreed on the disc of radius R but is defined on some larger domain. This is where analytic continuation comes into it.

So you try and find another laurent series around some other point and valid on a disc that overlaps the original disc. Strictly speaking you will have a different function because you have a different domain.

The reason that a laurent series has radius of convergence R is because there is some point on the boundary where the expansion is not valid (the resulting series diverges there) so there is something quite deep going on.

Example:

f(z) = z-z^2/2+z^3/3+...

This a power series for log (1+z) around 0, with radius of convergence 1. There is pole at z=-1. That doesn't mean that we can't continue log(1+z) around the singularity.

Elsewhere there will be different power series with different expanisions with different radii of convergence that glue together (to form a Riemann surface...)

Certain power series have no continuations. I can't remember the exact example but it's soemthing like:

[tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}z^{n!}[/tex]

which is valid for |z|<1, but has a dense set of poles on the unit circle - or at least that is how the counter example is supposed to go, even if that isn't the specific example.

As for the Riemann Zeta function. If you want to understand it, then you need a very good background in analysis and numbre theory. If you just want to know what's going on a little then there are some coffee-table books around.

Try, for various levels, Rudin's Analysis, anything by Beardon, Du Sautoy's music of the primes, and Devlin;s book about the clay institute prizes.

Last edited:
Likes DeathbyGreen
Thanks matt, I have a lot of learning to do.

the concept of analytic continuation just means enlarging the domain without giving up the property of being differentiable, i.e. holomorphic or meromorphic.

The power series method Matt described is a technique for doing it.

For example you could ask if it is possible to extend the definition of the sin function from the real line to all complex numbers. That is an easy example of analytic continuation. Namely the same power series that defines the taylor series for sin(x) with real x, also works for complex values of x.

1. What is analytic continuation and why is it important in mathematics?

Analytic continuation is a mathematical technique that allows us to extend the domain of a given function beyond its original definition. This is useful because it allows us to study the behavior of a function in a larger domain, which can provide valuable insights and help us solve complex problems.

2. How does analytic continuation work?

Analytic continuation works by using known properties and behaviors of a function to determine its behavior in the extended domain. This is done by using complex analysis and the Cauchy-Riemann equations to find a set of equations that describe the function in the new domain.

3. What are some real-life applications of analytic continuation?

Analytic continuation has numerous applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different regions, or to model the flow of fluids in complex systems. In finance, it can be used to predict the value of stock prices and analyze economic trends.

4. Are there any limitations to analytic continuation?

While analytic continuation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are analytic, meaning they can be represented by a convergent power series. Additionally, the behavior of the function in the extended domain may not always be consistent with its behavior in the original domain, which can lead to inaccuracies in predictions.

5. How does analytic continuation relate to complex analysis?

Analytic continuation is closely related to complex analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. Complex analysis provides the tools and techniques necessary to perform analytic continuation, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the concept of a branch point. Analytic continuation is considered a fundamental concept in complex analysis and is often used in its applications.