Catapulting to the top: A ping pong story

• Thread starter mconway
  • Start date
In summary, the task at hand is to create a ping pong catapult that can launch a ball 5-15 feet to hit a target. It must fit within a 1'x1'x1' space, be adjustable for angle and force, and made primarily from found materials. The suggested approach is to consider the principles of projectile motion, research different catapult designs, and repurpose everyday objects for the construction. Sketching and instructor approval are also important steps in the process.
mconway

Homework Statement

To be able to launch a ping pong ball 5 to 15 feet from various angles in order to hit a desired target (cup).

Basically I have to make a ping pong cataplult.

Known Limitations:
• Must be able to fire a projectile (ping pong ball) anywhere within 5’ to 15’ operating range.
• Must fit within a 1’x 1’x1’ footprint (in “collapsed form”).
• Cannot utilize high-pressure gases or combustible materials.
• Must be constructed primarily out of materials that are found, not bought.
• Must be sketched and approved by your instructor prior to building.
• Must be adjustable for angle (10-80 degrees).
• Must be adjustable for force.

Homework Equations

I know there are many equations that can be helpful, but the class I am in is INTRO to Engineering and Design. So our class is not exactly filled with advanced students, we are just short of moderate, but its still cool.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have just started to research catapults and other various ballistics devices but I pretty sure the design that will produce the best possible outcome would be a catapult that is considered a "striker"; meaning that the ping pong ball will travel by something hitting it.

Any kind of help such as ideas, links, pics, plans, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MC

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear MC,

It sounds like you have a fun and challenging project ahead of you! I would approach this problem by first considering the basic principles of projectile motion. This includes factors such as launch angle, initial velocity, and gravity. You can use these concepts to determine the ideal launch angle and force needed to hit your desired target.

Next, I would suggest looking into different types of catapults and their designs. You mentioned a "striker" catapult, but there are also other types such as a trebuchet or a torsion catapult. Each design will have its own advantages and limitations, so it's important to consider which one will work best for your project.

In terms of materials, since you are limited to using materials that are found rather than bought, I would suggest looking into everyday objects that could potentially be repurposed for your catapult. For example, you could use a spoon as the "striker" or a strong rubber band for the torsion mechanism.

As you continue your research and design process, remember to keep in mind the known limitations provided in the forum post. It may also be helpful to sketch out your design and make adjustments based on your instructor's feedback before building the actual catapult.

Good luck with your project and have fun exploring the world of catapults and ballistics!

it is important to approach any engineering problem with a systematic and methodical approach. In this case, the goal is to design a catapult that can launch a ping pong ball 5 to 15 feet while fitting within a 1’x 1’x1’ footprint and using only materials that are found, not bought.

To begin, it is important to understand the principles of projectile motion and how it relates to the design of a catapult. This includes understanding the factors that affect the distance and angle at which a projectile will travel, such as initial velocity, launch angle, and air resistance.

Next, research different designs of catapults and other ballistics devices to gain a better understanding of their mechanisms and how they achieve desired results. This will also help in identifying potential materials that could be used in the construction of the catapult.

Based on the known limitations, it may be necessary to use a combination of materials to achieve the desired results. For example, a wooden frame and rubber bands could be used to create the main structure of the catapult, while a spoon or other curved surface could be used as the "striker" to launch the ping pong ball.

It will also be important to test and adjust the design as needed to ensure it meets the requirements of being adjustable for angle and force. This could involve using different weights or lengths of rubber bands to control the force, and having a mechanism to adjust the angle of the catapult arm.

Overall, the key to a successful design will be to carefully consider the principles of projectile motion and use a combination of materials and adjustments to achieve the desired results. Good luck with your project!

I would first commend you on your creative and practical approach to this problem. The limitations provided present a challenging task, but I believe with careful planning and research, you can design a successful ping pong catapult.

One approach you could consider is using the principles of potential and kinetic energy. The catapult would store potential energy in a spring or elastic material, and when triggered, this energy would be converted into kinetic energy to launch the ping pong ball. This would allow for adjustable force by adjusting the tension in the spring or elastic material.

In terms of adjusting for angle, you could use a lever system with a fulcrum and adjustable arm lengths to change the angle at which the ball is launched. This could also be achieved by using a pivot point and adjustable arm lengths.

For materials, you could consider using everyday objects such as wooden spoons, rubber bands, and popsicle sticks. These can be easily found and assembled into a functional catapult.

I would also suggest looking into the physics of projectile motion to ensure that your catapult is accurate and can hit the desired target consistently. This could involve calculating the initial velocity and trajectory of the ping pong ball based on the force and angle at which it is launched.

Overall, I believe with careful planning, experimentation, and problem-solving, you can design a successful ping pong catapult that meets all the given limitations. Good luck!

1. What inspired you to write "Catapulting to the top: A ping pong story"?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the mechanisms and physics behind catapults and other simple machines. Ping pong, with its fast-paced and strategic gameplay, reminded me of a miniature version of a catapult. Combining my love for ping pong with my scientific curiosity, I was inspired to write this story.

2. Is "Catapulting to the top: A ping pong story" based on a true story?

While the story is fictional, it is loosely inspired by my own experiences playing ping pong and observing the dedication and determination of professional players. The characters and events in the story are not based on real people or events, but they do reflect the passion and skill required to reach the top in any sport.

3. What themes or messages do you hope readers take away from "Catapulting to the top: A ping pong story"?

The story explores themes of perseverance, hard work, and the importance of having a supportive team. I hope readers are inspired by the main character's dedication to improving his ping pong skills and his ability to overcome challenges and setbacks. Additionally, the story highlights the importance of teamwork and the impact that a strong support system can have on achieving success.

4. How did you conduct research for "Catapulting to the top: A ping pong story"?

In addition to drawing from my own knowledge and experiences with ping pong, I also researched the history and rules of the game to ensure accuracy in the story. I also consulted with professional players and coaches to gain insight into the training and mindset required for success in the sport.

5. Do you have any plans for a sequel to "Catapulting to the top: A ping pong story"?

At this time, I do not have plans for a sequel. However, I am open to exploring other sports or activities that incorporate scientific principles in a similar manner. I believe there are many interesting and exciting stories waiting to be told from this perspective.