Linear Algebra Book Recommendations

• Thread starter hotcommodity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, the conversation involves a request for a book recommendation on the subjects of transformations, operators, bases, and vector spaces in linear algebra. The recommended book is Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right, which is designed for advanced undergraduate courses. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the material and the potential influence of previous knowledge in discrete mathematics. A link to a helpful forum thread is also mentioned.
hotcommodity
I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good book on things like transformations, operators, bases, and vectorspaces. I had trouble with this subject matter when I took linear algebra, not just understaing the material but picturing it as well. Any recommendations appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicalous Bourbaki

And the title of the book I should be looking for is?..

I'm not quite sure what level you're looking for, but I think Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right is pretty good. It's designed for an advanced undergraduate linear algebra course. It's pretty good at giving you a better understanding of the subject, but if you're looking more towards applying it (outside of mathematics), it may not be the right book for you.

I'm not looking to apply it so much, just to get a good understanding of it. Other students in my linear class seemed to grasp the concepts quite easily, I think it may be due to the fact that they had taken discrete mathematics, tho' I'm not too sure. I hate to ignore the material and to have a crude understanding of it. I appreciate the recommendation, I'll check it out.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn linear algebra?

The best book for beginners to learn linear algebra is "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with plenty of examples and exercises to reinforce concepts.

2. What is a good book for advanced linear algebra?

A good book for advanced linear algebra is "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by Gilbert Strang. It covers a wide range of topics and has a strong focus on real-world applications of linear algebra.

3. Is there a book that focuses specifically on applications of linear algebra?

Yes, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Serge Lang is a great book that focuses on applications of linear algebra in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. What are some recommended textbooks for self-studying linear algebra?

Aside from the aforementioned books, "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole and "Linear Algebra: A Geometric Approach" by Theodore Shifrin and Malcolm Adams are also highly recommended for self-study.

5. Are there any free online resources for learning linear algebra?

Yes, there are several free resources available such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Linear Algebra by Jim Hefferson. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and other materials to aid in learning linear algebra.