Formula for allowable wall thickness

In summary, the conversation is about determining the minimum wall thickness for a knife blade made of 1018 CRS. The speaker has information about the moment, max deflection, greatest safe load, yield strength, MOE, length, density, and current wall thickness, but is unable to find a formula connecting yield strength to wall thickness. They are looking for help in finding this formula in order to determine the minimum wall thickness. The blade is similar to a thick-walled pipe with blades in the middle, and the current greatest safe load is 2700 pounds.
es_shoes
I need to determine the minimum wall thickness for 1018 CRS for a knife blade. I know the moment, max deflection, greatest safe load, yield strength, MOE, length, density, current wall thickness, etc.

However, I can not find a general formula connecting yield strength to wall thickness, which is, I think, what I need. Any help in finding a formula so that I can determine the minimum wall thickness with the info. above is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you say "wall thickness" that implies a hollow shelled piece like a pipe for example. Since you are talking about a knife, I would assume this is not the case.

What kind of loading scenario are you looking at?

its actually pretty much a thick-walled pipe like you first thought. It only has a series of blades in the middle of the piece. the greatest safe load, as is, is around 2700 pounds.

thanks.

What is the formula for allowable wall thickness?

The formula for allowable wall thickness is t = (P * D) / (2 * S * E)

What do the variables P, D, S, and E represent in the formula?

P represents the internal design pressure, D represents the outside diameter of the pipe or vessel, S represents the maximum allowable stress for the material, and E represents the joint efficiency factor (typically ranging from 0.85 to 1.00).

How do I determine the maximum allowable stress for a specific material?

The maximum allowable stress for a specific material can be found in industry standards such as ASME BPVC Section II or API 5L. It is also important to consider factors such as temperature, corrosion, and welding when determining the maximum allowable stress for a material.

Can this formula be used for all types of pipes and vessels?

This formula can be used for most types of pipes and vessels made from metal materials. However, for non-metal materials or for specialized applications, different formulas or standards may need to be used.

What safety factors should be considered when using this formula?

When using this formula, it is important to consider additional safety factors such as pressure fluctuations, potential impacts or external loads, and potential corrosion or degradation of the material over time. It is always recommended to consult industry standards and guidelines to ensure the safety and reliability of the design.