String book for the undergrad level

In summary, Brian Greene's two books "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" are both great reads for anyone interested in the basics of string theory. If you're not familiar with quantum field theory (and very few universities do it before the 4th year) then much of string theory is going to be lost on you. However, a good introduction is "Intro to superstrings and M-theory" by Kaku. After that, String Theory Demystified by Robert S. Shankland is a great read for those with more interest in the mathematics behind the theory.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Is there a book that a motivated undergrad can use to understand the basics of string theory (in a mathematical way)?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Zweibach's might be the book you're looking for. I haven't read it, but I know it's meant for undergrads.

Yes, Zwiebach rules!

Zwiebach does rule. It's nice to be able to go a little beyond the pop physics books and see some mathematics. My only problem is that I've not learned PDE or CoV yet. :(

An Easy book that is very helpful

Brian Greene has two books out The elegant universe and the fabric of the cosmos both are good but the elegant universe was written in simplistic terms with concrete examples its a must read... if your too lazy NOVA did a three part special on it

i say take qft from your physics department. then read zwiebach and polchinski simultaneously. after learning some qft many things become accessible.

Last edited:
^ Definitely. If you're not familiar with quantum field theory (and very few universities do it before the 4th year) then much of string theory is going to be lost on you. Stuff like Lie algebras is in a similar vein, the details of them aren't often taught to undergrads (I'm not counting a 4th year Masters) but they are essential to string theory, indeed any QFT, when you get down to representations of how various symmetries or transforms work.

simic4 said:
then read zwiebach and polchinski simultaneously.
I don't think it is a good idea. After Zwiebach (which says too little about SUPERstrings), I would suggest a shorter pedagogic introduction:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0207142
Among more advanced textbooks on string theory I prefer the one by Kaku (Intro to superstrings and M-theory), despite the fact that professionals usually prefer Green-Schwarz-Witten, Polchinski, and the recent Becker-Becker-Schwarz.

Demystifier said:
I don't think it is a good idea. After Zwiebach (which says too little about SUPERstrings), I would suggest a shorter pedagogic introduction:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0207142
Among more advanced textbooks on string theory I prefer the one by Kaku (Intro to superstrings and M-theory), despite the fact that professionals usually prefer Green-Schwarz-Witten, Polchinski, and the recent Becker-Becker-Schwarz.

Damn, that looks nice.

I would like to try the "string theory demystified" and "Quantum field theory demystified", I do not major in theoretical physics, but I am very intresseted and my friend has just read Zwiebach and he also does higgs boson decay simulation as his diploma work.

I have also find this paper, it is a diploma work at my university, he wrote an Introductory book about string theory:
http://www.teorfys.uu.se/courses/exjobb/roadtoTOE.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a "String book" for the undergraduate level?

A "String book" for the undergraduate level refers to a textbook or resource that covers the fundamentals of string theory, a branch of theoretical physics that aims to explain the fundamental nature of matter and space.

2. Is prior knowledge of physics necessary to understand a "String book" for the undergraduate level?

Prior knowledge of basic physics concepts, such as classical mechanics and electromagnetism, is helpful but not necessary to understand a "String book" for the undergraduate level. However, a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, such as calculus and linear algebra, is essential.

3. What are some common topics covered in a "String book" for the undergraduate level?

Some common topics covered in a "String book" for the undergraduate level include the history and development of string theory, the properties of strings and their interactions, and the different types of string theories (such as bosonic, superstring, and M-theory).

4. How can a "String book" for the undergraduate level be useful for students?

A "String book" for the undergraduate level can be a useful resource for students interested in theoretical physics, as it provides a comprehensive understanding of the key concepts and principles of string theory. It can also serve as a foundation for further studies in related fields, such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.

5. Are there any recommended "String books" for the undergraduate level?

Yes, there are many recommended "String books" for the undergraduate level, including "Introduction to String Theory" by Joseph Polchinski, "String Theory for Dummies" by Andrew Zimmerman Jones and Daniel Robbins, and "String Theory Demystified" by David McMahon.