Are You Prepared for the Upcoming Lunar Eclipse?

In summary, Jimmy was joking about how it's hard to see a lunar eclipse through things used for observing solar eclipses. He said that since his post was in jest, I should run with it. He said that he doesn't really smoke glass, or at least he doesn't inhale, and that the reason he didn't see anything was because he lives on the oriental coast of the US. He also said that he had a very nice view from his back porch this morning.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Set your alarms, get your cameras ready, clean the lenses on your scopes - it's loony time!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070827-lunar-eclispe.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/images/070827-lunar-eclipse_big.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I hope lots of folks here get a good view.

Unfortunately, I won't, as 3 a.m. PT is 7 a.m AT. :frown::grumpy::mad:

I saw a total eclipse of the moon a few years ago. Awesome. The moon turned a dark umber color.

* rimshot *

Civil twilight here was at 6:26 AM (ET) this morning. So I should get about a half hour of viewing time, if, as forecast, the clouds stay away.

Evo said:
I saw a total eclipse of the moon a few years ago. Awesome. The moon turned a dark umber color.

I saw a good one in Portland back in '97 or '98. The moon looked blood-red for a time.

we're headed out to go find a dark spot out of the city now. I wish I had a camera...

That's it over here...I had a smoky, brown moon. Total eclipse began at about 0552(ET) with the moon at an elevation of about 20o above the horizon.

I was prepared. I set out the lawn chair, can of brew and bag of chips and the smoked glass and just waited. But I didn't see a thing.

mooneclipse600005.jpg

jimmysnyder said:
smoked glass and just waited. But I didn't see a thing.

All the letters correct here?

zoobyshoe said:
mooneclipse600005.jpg

Very nice.

George Jones said:
All the letters correct here?
Naughty George! Nice pic, zoob. That's redder than it ever got, here in the midwest.

jimmy, how exactly do you mean "missed"?

Gokul43201 said:
Naughty George! Nice pic, zoob. That's redder than it ever got, here in the midwest.

jimmy, how exactly do you mean "missed"?

Here's my interpretation, which may be completelly wrong.

Jimmy was making a joke about confusing lunar and solar eclipses. When you try and observe a lunar eclipse throught stuff you use for a solar eclipse, you don't see very much.

Since Jimmy's post was in jest, I decided to run with it.

George Jones said:
Since Jimmy's post was in jest, I decided to run with it.
So he wasn't trying on his new Oriental accent?

Gokul43201 said:
So he wasn't trying on his new Oriental accent?

As usual, I was slow on the uptake. I now see the light with respect to your post (#13).

Yes, it was all in jest, I don't really smoke glass, or anyway, I don't inhale. The reason I didn't see anything is because I live on the oriental coast of the US which may explain the accent.

I had a very nice view from my back porch this morning.

Now, if I could just take a short nap at my desk... I got home around 11:30 last night, so that makes for a short sleep.

1. What is a lunar eclipse?

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth comes between the Sun and the Moon, causing the Moon to pass through the Earth's shadow. This can only happen during a full moon.

2. How often do lunar eclipses occur?

Lunar eclipses occur about twice a year, but they are not visible from all parts of the world. The exact frequency depends on the alignment of the Sun, Earth, and Moon.

3. What causes the Moon to turn red during a lunar eclipse?

During a lunar eclipse, the Earth's atmosphere filters out most of the blue light, leaving only red light to reach the Moon. This gives the Moon a reddish appearance.

4. Can a lunar eclipse be harmful to humans?

No, a lunar eclipse is not harmful to humans. Unlike a solar eclipse, it is safe to look at a lunar eclipse with the naked eye. However, it is always recommended to use proper eye protection when looking at any bright celestial object.

5. How can I best view a lunar eclipse?

A lunar eclipse can be viewed with the naked eye, but using binoculars or a telescope can provide a closer and more detailed view. It is also recommended to find a location with minimal light pollution and a clear view of the Moon.