Solving Indefinite Integral: F(x)= \int\frac{1}{t}dt from x to 2x

In summary, the function F(x) = \int\frac{1}{t}dt from x to 2x is continuous from 0 to infinity because the antiderivative of the integrand, the natural logarithm function, is differentiable and continuous on the interval (0, infinity). Therefore, by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, the integral evaluates to F(x) = \log_e (2x) - \log_e (x), and the log property simplifies the right-hand side to a constant, making F(x) continuous for all real x.
rdgt3000

Homework Statement

How is this function continuous from 0 to infinity

F(x) = [tex]\int\frac{1}{t}[/tex]dt from x to 2x

Homework Equations

I am fairly sure that this equation uses the properties of natural logs to solve.
Also an infinite function has a derivative that is equal to 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

F'(x)= 1/t

That is about how far I have got in solving this problem. I really can't figure out why I am having such problems with this. I think it has to do with the fact that the interval of the integral is from x to 2x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamental theorem of calculus. Let f be a real-valued integrable function defined on a closed interval [a, b]. If F is defined for x in [a, b] by

intregral(1/x) from a to x

then F is continuous on [a, b]. If f is continuous at x in [a, b], then F is differentiable at x, and F ′(x) = f(x).

I presume the problem asks to show that F is continuous on (0,infinity) not [0, infinity] - there's a difference, one is true, the other isn't.

I very much doubt that this "has to do with the fact that the interval of the integral is from x to 2x". If you know the anti-derivative, F(t), then the integral is F(2x)- F(x).

I'm more inclined to think that the problem has to do with the fact that you don't know the anti-derivative of 1/t ! If you do, what is it? If you don't, look it up in your textbook!

Sorry I've just been off tonight. Under the attempted solution part I put F'(x)= 1/t . What I meant was the antiderivative was log(t). That one is a no brainer. I'm having some trouble explaining why it's continuous. And yes, it is from the interval (0, infinity), sorry about that. Thank you both for your quick and helpful responses by the way.

What are the properties of the natural logarithm function?

The domain for the natural logarithm is the set of all real numbers and is also differentiable. Therefore the function is continuous from (0, infinity) since the log of any positive number results in an answer that exists, the range is from - infinity to + infinity. I think my problem was from thinking that what if x equaled some negative number, but that is ruled out since the function must occur from (0, infinity). So I am pretty sure I just figured this out, and have also realized that this was a fairly easy question!

Last edited:
The antiderivative of the integrand in the Natural Log. By the Fundamental theorem on calculus, The integral then evaluates to [itex]F(x) = \log_e (2x) - \log_e (x)[/itex].

Can you see a log property that would simplify the RHS to a constant, making F(x) continuous for all real x?

Gib Z has better alluded to what I was aiming at. I assumed that you'd actually evaluated the integral after the help given previously. It should be very apparent what the answer is now.

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the reverse process of differentiation. It represents the set of all antiderivatives of a given function.

How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to also remember to include a constant of integration in your final answer.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral represents a numerical value, while an indefinite integral represents a set of functions.

What is the significance of the limits of integration in an indefinite integral?

The limits of integration in an indefinite integral represent the starting and ending point for the integration process. These limits determine the specific set of antiderivatives that will be included in the answer.

How do you solve the given indefinite integral: F(x)= \int\frac{1}{t}dt from x to 2x?

To solve this indefinite integral, you can use the substitution method. Let u = 2x, then du = 2dx. This means that the integral becomes F(x) = \int\frac{1}{t} * \frac{dt}{2} from x to u. Simplifying, we get F(x) = \frac{1}{2} * ln(u) from x to u. Finally, substituting back for u, we get F(x) = \frac{1}{2} * ln(2x) from x to 2x.