Elasticity and young's modulus

In summary: Thnks JoAuSc,...In summary, when the wheel is not rotating, the strain on the ring due to a stress is F_t. When the wheel is rotating fast enough, the normal force goes to zero and we have a centrifugal force which replaces the normal force.
Kushal

Homework Statement

The strain in a rubber ring on a rim of a wheel of radius 0.40m is 3*10^-3 when the wheel is stationary. The normal push of the rim on the ring just becomes zero when the wheel is rotating at angular speed 'omega'. Calculate the value of 'omega' if Young's Modulus for the rubber is 0.50G Nm-2, and its density is 9.4 * 10^2 kgm-3.

Homework Equations

E = (FL)/(Ae)
F = mrw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

what i want to know is what is implied when it says that 'the normal push of the rim on the ring just becomes zero when the wheel is rotating at angular speed 'omega'. then i think i'll be able to do the number.

Physics news on Phys.org
The strain on the ring is due to a stress which can be calculated, and from the stress you can calculate the acceleration the ring would have if the wheel suddenly disappeared and allowed the ring to collapse.

I hope this helps.

Thnks JoAuSc,...i understood the calculation part...started my calculations by equating force from stress to centripetal force instead...

what i still can't understand is what " the normal push of the rim on the ring just becomes zero when the wheel is rotating at angular speed 'omega' " means. can someone explain this to me, what actually happens??

thnks

We have three forces on the ring, all pointing in the radial direction either inwards or out. There is the stress where the ring essentially pulls itself towards the center due collectively to its tension. We'll call this F_t, for "tension". There is the normal force of the wheel on the ring; this force points outwards. We'll call this F_n, for "normal". Finally, there is the centrifugal "force", which points outwards. I use quotes because it's not really a force, unless you look at things from a rotating frame of reference. This is due to the centripetal acceleration v^2/r. (I hope I'm using "centripetal" and "centrifugal" right.) We'll call this force F_c.

When the wheel is not rotating, we have two forces which sum together to 0. We can solve for the normal force in this case. When the wheel is rotating fast enough, the normal force goes to zero, the tension force remains the same, and we have a centrifugal force which replaces the normal force.

I hope this helps.

1. What is elasticity and why is it important in materials science?

Elasticity is the ability of a material to return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed. It is important in materials science because it helps us understand how materials behave under different types of stress and strain. This knowledge is crucial for designing and using materials in various applications.

2. What is Young's modulus and how is it related to elasticity?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It represents the ratio of stress to strain in a material under tension or compression. In other words, it quantifies how much a material will deform under a given amount of force.

3. How is Young's modulus determined for a material?

Young's modulus is typically determined through tensile testing, where a sample of the material is subjected to tension until it breaks. The stress and strain at different points of the sample are measured and plotted to calculate the slope of the stress-strain curve, which represents Young's modulus.

4. What factors can affect the Young's modulus of a material?

The Young's modulus of a material can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the microstructure of the material. For example, increasing temperature can decrease the modulus of some materials, while increasing pressure can increase it. The presence of defects or impurities in the material can also affect its modulus.

5. How is Young's modulus used in real-world applications?

Young's modulus is used in many real-world applications, including engineering, construction, and biomechanics. It helps engineers and designers select materials that can withstand the desired amount of stress and strain in a given application. It is also used in the development of medical devices and prosthetics, where the stiffness of a material can impact its performance and compatibility with the human body.