Attack of my horrid math skills, pt. 1

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a function and its derivative in a book. The function includes a square root and a subtraction term, while the derivative includes a chain rule and a possible error in the use of variables. The errors were later corrected and the conversation ends with a humorous admission of being mistaken.
moe darklight
I thought I should start numbering these... anyway, here's another brain-fart where I miss something obvious:

in the book the dude uses:

[tex]\[
f(x) = \frac{1}{{30}}\sqrt {a^2 + x^2 } + \frac{1}{{60}}(b - x)
\]
[/tex]

later on he continues, using:

[tex]\[
f'(x) = \frac{1}{{30}}\frac{1}{2}(a^2 + x^2 )^{ - 1/2} (2x) - \frac{1}{{60}}
\]
[/tex]

where'd that 2x come from? isn't the derivative of [tex]\[
\sqrt {a^2 + x^2 }
\][/tex] just [tex]\[
\frac{1}{2}(a^2 + x^2 )^{ - 1/2}
\][/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well assuming that you mean x instead of b, that 2x comes from the chain rule.

yea chain rule but also he seems to have confused x for b in the derivative, should be [tex]\frac{1}{2}(a^2+x^2)^{-1/2}(2x)[/tex]

blah, I'm an idiot :rofl: . o well, haha thanks.

and yea those two were typos; I fixed them.

1. What is "Attack of my horrid math skills, pt. 1" about?

"Attack of my horrid math skills, pt. 1" is a humorous and relatable blog post about struggling with math skills and the frustrations that come with it. It discusses the author's personal experiences and provides some tips for improving math skills.

2. Why is math such a difficult subject for some people?

There are many reasons why math can be a difficult subject for some people. It could be due to a lack of interest, a learning disability, a negative attitude towards math, or a lack of practice and understanding of fundamental concepts. Each individual may have their own unique struggles with math.

3. Can anyone improve their math skills?

Yes, anyone can improve their math skills with dedication, practice, and patience. It may take more time and effort for some individuals, but with the right approach and mindset, anyone can become better at math.

4. Are there any tips for improving math skills?

Yes, some tips for improving math skills include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, breaking down problems into smaller steps, and finding fun and creative ways to learn and understand math concepts.

5. Why is it important to have good math skills?

Having good math skills is important for many reasons. It can help with problem-solving, critical thinking, decision-making, and understanding the world around us. Math skills are also essential in many jobs and careers, and having a strong foundation in math can open up many opportunities.