Basic: Misunderstanding of some division concepts

In summary, the conversation discusses mathematical equations involving the symbol \sigma and how they can be simplified and used in different contexts. The conversation also delves into the concept of normalization and how it applies to the equations, specifically in the context of NMR spectroscopy. Additionally, there is a discussion on the conventions and labeling used in NMR spectrographs.
AbedeuS
Hey, I see a lot of things going on with some mathematical equations that even I would do, but I'm always confused by them for some reason, such as:

[tex]\frac{\sigma-\delta}{\sigma}[/tex]

Wouldnt this just be equal to:

[tex]\frac{\sigma}{\sigma} - \frac{\delta}{\sigma} = 1 - \frac{\delta}{\sigma}[/tex]

I know it doesn't actually work like this, but I'm always helplessly confused at the logic (well recently anyway).

Thanks for your (basic :D) help.

-Abe

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can do that, it's not wrong. You're just distributing here -- if it's easier, think of it as

[tex]\frac1\sigma(\sigma-\delta)=\frac1\sigma\cdot\sigma-\frac1\sigma\cdot\delta=1-\frac\delta\sigma[/tex]

Well it just seems random to write anything other than 1-fraction then, in chemistry we use equations like:

[tex]\frac{\sigma_{ref}-\sigma_{observed}}{\sigma_{ref}}[/tex] for chemical shift.

Seems a bit confusing >,<

What do you mean, 'it doesn't work like that'? It does, but it is just a convention some people adopt to use the X/Y format, since it is, for whatever reason, deemed more useful or attractive. In the case you cite it is useful to leave it like that as it is very suggestive that the quantity is a normalized differene.

What do you mean by normalised difference? I've always wondered why nmr uses a ppm axis method rather than just llabeling the frequency of absorbtion:

EDIT: Because TMS is the reference chemical usually this has extremely shielded hydrogen nuclei, which means the resonant frequency of it is going to be lower then almost all of the other samples loaded into an NMR spec, so the overall outcome of that equation should, for a start, be negative?

Last edited:
Matt meant, that from the equation
[tex]\frac{ \sigma_\mathrm{ref} - \sigma_\mathrm{obs} }{ \sigma_\mathrm{ref} } [/tex]
it is immediately clear that you take the difference between the observed and reference quantity, and that this is what you really want to know. It's more like a convenience that we normalise it by [itex]\sigma_\mathrm{ref}[/itex], so that we can compare the quantities for different measurements (with different [itex]\sigma_\mathrm{ref}[/itex]).

Of course it's always allowed to write it as
[tex]1 - \frac{ \sigma_\mathrm{obs} }{ \sigma_\mathrm{ref} }, [/tex]
but it's (supposedly) much less clear where this expression came from and what it is you're actually doing.

Wouldnt it make more sense to do:

[tex]\frac{\sigma_{obs}-\sigma_{ref}}{\sigma_{ref}}[/tex]

if I was trying to find the observed difference?

That is 'the difference of the reference from the observed', when you _probably_ want the difference fo the observed from the reference. One is just -1 times the other and it is completely immaterial - you are focusing on the wrong things entirely.

Good point ¬_¬

But the Observed frequency is usually higher, so it would be best to have shift positive rather than neg

Last edited:
If you're comparing it to the reference quantity, then it seems logical that the result is negative if there is a decrease with respect to that quantity.
Otherwise it would better if it had been defined as
[tex]
\frac{ \sigma_\mathrm{obs} - \sigma_\mathrm{ref} }{ \sigma_\mathrm{obs} }.
[/tex]

Ah, I see, so because we define reference as the most shielded (lowest number) it just makes logical sense that any other value (higher number than reference) would make the overall equation negative, so the "Shift" can be perceived as shielding (which decreases the value) so a more negative shift == less shielding.

I probably would have preferred to have it going up with less shielding though, indicating that the frequency observed was higher, and therefore the shielding was lower.

I find it pretty confusing however that on nmr spectrographs the ppm appears to get larger numbers, but there not negative, the axis is written correctly, with 0 on the right at any higher numbers on the left indicating a decrease, but its never llabeled to make it clear its negative, or is this just a freaky convention?

Also, is normalisation performed on an equation when there would be some other variables involved that could disproportionately change the two values, so you normalise it, so that if a variable is changed (in the case of NMR, the external magnetic field is changed) the shift values should still retain linearity with respect to eachover?

Thanks for the help ^_^ I'm dopey.

1. What is division?

Division is a mathematical operation that involves dividing a number into equal parts or groups. It is the inverse of multiplication and is represented by the symbol ÷.

2. What is the difference between quotient and remainder?

The quotient is the result of dividing two numbers, while the remainder is the amount left over after division that cannot be evenly divided. For example, when dividing 10 by 3, the quotient is 3 and the remainder is 1.

3. How do you solve a division problem?

To solve a division problem, you need to divide the dividend (the number being divided) by the divisor (the number that divides the dividend). This can be done using long division, repeated subtraction, or using a calculator.

4. What is the difference between integer division and decimal division?

Integer division involves dividing two whole numbers without any remainders, while decimal division involves dividing numbers with decimals. The quotient in integer division will always be a whole number, while the quotient in decimal division can be a decimal or fraction.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes in division?

To avoid mistakes in division, it is important to understand the concept and rules of division, such as dividing by zero is undefined and the order of operations. It is also helpful to double-check your work, use estimation, and practice solving division problems regularly.