Could the Bulk be a Hyperdrive?

• Thread starter Toastus
  • Start date
In summary, the Bulk could hypothetically be used as a hyperdrive, but it would require understanding gravity a whole hell of a lot better than we currently understand it and there is no way to get to it without ripping your strings off and closing them.
Toastus
Could the Bulk possibly be used as a hyperdrive?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have to understand gravity a whole hell of a lot better than we currently understand it...

Also, in models with a bulk, the matter is sometimes localized to a brane, so it might be utterly impossible.

I think that it would depend on the topology of our brane as well, but higher-dimensional topology is not something I know.

Still, if you look at the evidence for the visible universe being flat, and thinking about the analogy of a flat 2D brane in a 3D bulk; it seems to me that travel through the bulk would add distance onto your path.

BenTheMan said:
You'd have to understand gravity a whole hell of a lot better than we currently understand it...

Also, in models with a bulk, the matter is sometimes localized to a brane, so it might be utterly impossible.

I would think that there would be some way to get yourself off of a brane without ripping your strings off and closing them. If there was a hole in a brane, would you be able to go over it and float off, or would it be like a barrier, so you couldn't go in it?

FTL_Diesel said:
I think that it would depend on the topology of our brane as well, but higher-dimensional topology is not something I know.

Still, if you look at the evidence for the visible universe being flat, and thinking about the analogy of a flat 2D brane in a 3D bulk; it seems to me that travel through the bulk would add distance onto your path.

I meant if it had properties of hyperspace in fiction, such as particles traveling much faster, or higher lightspeed (even though there is no light in the bulk).

robousy said:
You are forgetting my warp drive. ;)

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0512/0512152v1.pdf

The bulk plays a role.

I never saw that... I know next to nothing about anything said in that, but it looks like the warp drive. I guess. :)

Would the Bulk possibly have the properties of hyperspace? And, if so, how could we get to it?

I would think that there would be some way to get yourself off of a brane without ripping your strings off and closing them. If there was a hole in a brane, would you be able to go over it and float off, or would it be like a barrier, so you couldn't go in it?

In many cases, matter JUST DOESN'T propogate in the bulk---there's no way around it.
Take a five dimensional orbifold GUT, for example---there are some fields which are stuck to the brane in the sense that they have no wavefunction in the fifth dimension. If the fields are stuck to the brane, there is absolutely no description of them off of the brane.

In some string models, matter is localized on a brane. In Type II strings, for example, open strings (by definition) end on a brane. So, again, there is no way to really describe an open string that DOESN'T end on a brane. As far as I know, the branes are space-filling and cannot have holes in them.

This said, there may be ways to do it. For example, in some orbifold GUT's, one can put one generation of SM quarks and leptons in the bulk, and two families on the brane. In this case, one could concievably build a ship out of top quarks, bottom quarks, and tau leptons, which would live in the bulk. Note that this is pretty hard to comprehend, considering that they can make only one top quark a second at LHC, and to get enough top quarks to do something with (not to mention the fact that they decay in a fraction of a second), you'd need ~10^25 or so.

You should beware that this is PURE speculation. (I wish I could write PURE in bigger letters!)

You are forgetting my warp drive. ;)

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0512/0512152v1.pdf

The bulk plays a role.

I remembered this paper, I just didn't want to link to it because people are sometimes funny about having there names associated with their online identities. I obviously don't care (people only have to look at my myspace page that is linked in my profile), but I didn't want to out you online :)

The way I remember it, you locally change the cosmological constant to ride a space-time wave, of sorts. Right? This would be ``understanding gravity a whole hell of a lot better than we do now''.

BenTheMan said:
In many cases, matter JUST DOESN'T propogate in the bulk---there's no way around it.
Take a five dimensional orbifold GUT, for example---there are some fields which are stuck to the brane in the sense that they have no wavefunction in the fifth dimension. If the fields are stuck to the brane, there is absolutely no description of them off of the brane.

In some string models, matter is localized on a brane. In Type II strings, for example, open strings (by definition) end on a brane. So, again, there is no way to really describe an open string that DOESN'T end on a brane. As far as I know, the branes are space-filling and cannot have holes in them.

This said, there may be ways to do it. For example, in some orbifold GUT's, one can put one generation of SM quarks and leptons in the bulk, and two families on the brane. In this case, one could concievably build a ship out of top quarks, bottom quarks, and tau leptons, which would live in the bulk. Note that this is pretty hard to comprehend, considering that they can make only one top quark a second at LHC, and to get enough top quarks to do something with (not to mention the fact that they decay in a fraction of a second), you'd need ~10^25 or so.
If only quarks are able to go through the bulk, would it carry you with it, or would you be left on our brane?

1. What is the Bulk and how does it relate to hyperdrive technology?

The Bulk is a theoretical concept in physics that refers to extra dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with. Some theories suggest that the Bulk could potentially be used to create a hyperdrive, a hypothetical propulsion system that would allow for faster-than-light travel.

2. Is there any evidence to support the idea of using the Bulk as a hyperdrive?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the idea of using the Bulk as a hyperdrive. The concept is purely theoretical and has not been tested or proven in any way. However, scientists continue to explore and study the concept as a potential avenue for advanced space travel.

3. How would a Bulk-based hyperdrive work?

The specifics of how a Bulk-based hyperdrive would work are still largely unknown. Some theories suggest that it would involve manipulating the extra dimensions of the Bulk in a way that would allow for faster-than-light travel. However, the exact mechanics and technology necessary for this are still purely speculative.

4. What are the potential benefits of a Bulk-based hyperdrive?

If a hyperdrive based on the Bulk were to be successfully developed, it could potentially revolutionize space travel as we know it. It could allow for much faster and more efficient travel between distant planets and galaxies, opening up new possibilities for exploration and colonization.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to a Bulk-based hyperdrive?

One potential limitation is the immense amount of energy that would be required to manipulate the extra dimensions of the Bulk. This energy requirement could make the technology impractical or even impossible to implement. Additionally, the effects of traveling at faster-than-light speeds on the human body are still largely unknown and could pose health risks.