What does it mean to determine the precision, expressed as percent

In summary, the conversation was about determining the precision of a given value for k in a spring through two methods and expressing it as a percentage. There was confusion about the meaning of "precision" and how to calculate it, with suggestions including using percentage error and considering the reproducibility of results.
gcatal
In my lab class, I needed to find k for a spring in two ways (hanging a mass from a spring & through simple harmonic motion). I've done this and now need to compare the two values - the question asks me to determine "the precision, expressed as a percent" of my measurements for k - I don't understand what this means.

Can someone advise me as to how I can go about determining the precision of a given value & expressing it as a %? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they mean percentage error maybe... one way of doing it is taking +/- 1 of the last digit.

so 125g has a percentage error of [1g/(125g)]*100% = 0.8%

but don't know if this is how you're expected to do it.

I don't think that's it because they ask me for the percentage error later...they want the "claimed precision expressed as a percent". Thanks anyway.

Precision is the amount of reproducibility I think, how easy it is to reproduce a particular result. So how close were K values maybe?

What does it mean to determine the precision, expressed as percent?

Determining the precision, expressed as percent, refers to the accuracy of a measurement or calculation in relation to its true value. It is a way to quantify the level of error or uncertainty in a measurement or calculation.

How is precision expressed as a percent?

Precision is typically expressed as a percentage or a decimal representing the percentage. For example, a precision of 3% would be written as 0.03.

Why is determining precision important in scientific research?

Determining precision is important in scientific research because it allows for the evaluation of the reliability and accuracy of the data and results. It helps to identify any potential sources of error and ensures that the conclusions drawn from the research are valid.

What factors affect the precision of a measurement or calculation?

The precision of a measurement or calculation can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the equipment used, the skill of the person conducting the measurement, and the environmental conditions in which the measurement is taken. Other factors may include the resolution of the measuring instrument and the presence of external variables that can influence the results.

Can precision be improved?

Yes, precision can be improved through various methods such as using more accurate equipment, increasing the number of measurements taken, and reducing sources of error. It is important to note, however, that precision cannot be improved indefinitely and is subject to limitations based on the inherent uncertainty of the measurement or calculation.