Hard disk, partitioning, boot loaders

• Thread starter alvaros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties installing a new hard drive and where to find accurate and up-to-date information about partitioning, formatting, fdisk, MBR, multiboot, and other related topics. The speaker suggests checking the manufacturer's website or using Google to find information, but notes that the information on these topics has not changed much. They also mention that fdisk is no longer available in Windows XP and suggest using the GUI for managing partitions in the control panel. For Linux users, they recommend using the man command to find information on fdisk and other tools. The conversation also mentions the need to fix ntloader if planning to boot Linux or BSD, and suggests using either grub or lilo to read multiple partition types.
alvaros
Im having trouble installing a new HD into my computer.
Where can I found information, accurate and up to date, about:
partitioning, formating, fdisk, MBR, , multiboot, ...
thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
the information regarding partitioning, formating, fdisk, MBR, , multiboot, ... haven't changed in quite a while... everything you'll find about it (google) will be "up-to-date"
anyway, if you're using winXP, they took away fdisk... dig in the administration settings in the control panel, they hid a gui for managing partitions there... (and it only knows to partition in fat and ntfs)
if you're using linux, it'd be easier to find the info... just type man fdisk, man parted, etc...

what OS's are you planning to boot?
ntloader has to be "fixed" if you want it to boot linux/BSD (you would have to put grub on a fat/ntfs partition, load it, and tell it to load linux/BSD).
grub or lilo can read many partition types... i like grub better (only because i haven't used lilo for about 8 years...)

1. What is a hard disk and how does it work?

A hard disk is a storage device that is used to store and retrieve digital data. It consists of one or more rotating platters coated with a magnetic material, which are read and written to by a read/write head. The data is stored in binary code (0s and 1s) on the platters and can be accessed and modified by the computer's operating system.

2. What is partitioning and why is it important?

Partitioning is the process of dividing a hard disk into separate sections, which act as individual drives. This allows for better organization and management of data, as well as increased security by separating sensitive files. It also allows for the installation of multiple operating systems on a single hard disk.

3. What is a boot loader and why do we need it?

A boot loader is a program that is responsible for loading the operating system into memory when the computer is turned on. It is located in the first sector of the hard disk (known as the Master Boot Record) and is used to start the boot process. Without a boot loader, the computer would not be able to start up and run the operating system.

4. Can I change the boot loader on my computer?

Yes, you can change the boot loader on your computer, but it is not recommended unless you have a good understanding of the process. The boot loader is a critical component of the boot process and making changes to it can cause system instability. It is best to consult a professional or follow a trusted guide if you wish to change the boot loader.

5. How can I protect my hard disk and partitions from data loss?

To protect your hard disk and partitions from data loss, it is important to regularly back up your data to an external source. This can be done manually or through automated backup software. It is also important to regularly scan for and remove any viruses or malware that could potentially damage your data. Additionally, properly shutting down your computer and avoiding physical damage to the hard disk can also help prevent data loss.