Solving Infinite Series: (2^(k+3))/(℮^(k-3))

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sum of a given infinite series, which can be solved by treating it as a geometric series. There was some confusion about the initial values for 'k', but it was eventually resolved and the solution was found to be 8e^4/(e-2).
danni7070
[Solved] Infinite Series

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the given series, or show that the series diverges.

_∞
∑_(k=0) (2^(k+3))/(℮^(k-3))

I hope this is not confusing, and it would be great if someone knows about some site where you can write equations easily online.

Homework Equations

I don't know any which can help me here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just see what happens when k = 0, 1, 2, 3... inf and see what happens. But to find the sum I'm totally lost. Could somebody get me started here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
k can't be < 3, for a start...

Why not?

That's actually just a straightforward geometric series! [itex]2^{k+3}= 8 2^k[/itex] and [itex]e^{k-3}= e^{-3} e^k[/itex] so your series is just
[tex]\Sum_{k=0}^\infty (8e^{-3})(2e)^k[/itex]
That's a geometric series with [itex]a= 8e^{-3}[/itex] and [itex]r= (2e)^k[/itex].

Isn't it suppose to be [tex] 8e^3 [/tex] ?

[tex] \frac{2^3*2^k}{e^-3*e^k} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{8}{e^-3}*\frac{2^k}{e^k} [/tex]

[tex] 8*\frac{1}{e^-3} * \frac{2^k}{e^k} [/tex]

[tex] 8e^3 * (\frac{2}{e})^k [/tex]

Last edited:
danni7070 said:
Isn't it suppose to be [tex] 8e^3 [/tex] ?

[tex] \frac{2^3*2^k}{e^-3*e^k} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{8}{e^-3}*\frac{2^k}{e^k} [/tex]

[tex] 8*\frac{1}{e^-3} * \frac{2^k}{e^k} [/tex]

[tex] 8e^3 * (\frac{2}{e})^k [/tex]

Yes, you are indeed correct. I believe HallsofIvy may have just mistaken the fact that we were dividing by [tex] e^{k-3} [/tex] by multiplying. As a matter of fact, I made the same mistake when reviewing your question. It's easy to see why it wouldn't make sense otherwise, since the sum would then diverge to infinity.

Other than the sign error though, HallsofIvy is exactly correct. Since [tex]\frac{2}{e} < 1 [/tex] you can now just treat it as the usual infinite geometric series.

After much calculation and substitution (I used my HP49G+), I get:

[tex] (1- \frac {
\sum_{k=3}^\infty \frac {2^{(k+3)}} { e^{k-3}}
}
{|\sum_{k=3}^\infty \frac {2^{(k+3)}} { e^{k-3}} |
}
)\frac \pi 2 [/tex]If [tex] \sum_{k=3}^\infty \frac {2^{(k+3)}} { e^{k-3}}[/tex] is substituted with, say 'u', then it's: [tex] (1- \frac {u} {|u |} )\frac \pi 2 [/tex]

This fine example of algebraic manipulation, does not allow k to be < 3, maybe because this would have an undefined denominator in those fractions...

However, solving the expression: [tex] \frac {2^{(k+3)}} { e^{k-3}} [/tex] gives:[tex] \frac {8e^3 e^k ln 2 } {e^k }[/tex]

So, substituting this back into the original: [tex] \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {8e^3 e^k ln 2 } {e^k }
[/tex]

P.S. Sorry if my claim that k must be >= 3 has confused people; my calc won't let me assign 0,1, or 2 to the first eqn. if it is set to arithmetic (rather than algebraic mode), if that explains it any further...

Last edited:
Ok, this one is solved. Thanks everyone for explaining.

[tex] \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {2^{(k+3)}} { e^{k-3}}[/tex]

[tex] 8e^3\sum_{k=3}^\infty (\frac{2}{e})^k [/tex]

[tex] \frac {8e^3}{1-\frac{2}{e}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {8e^4}{e-2} [/tex]

And the answer from the book agrees! This feels great.

1. How do you solve an infinite series?

To solve an infinite series, you need to determine the pattern or rule that the series follows. Then, you can use a formula or method to find the sum of the series. In some cases, you may need to simplify or manipulate the series before applying a formula.

2. What is the formula for solving infinite series?

The formula for solving an infinite series is S = a/(1-r), where S is the sum of the series, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. This formula is used for geometric series, while arithmetic series use the formula S = (n/2)(a+l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term.

3. How do you determine the pattern of an infinite series?

To determine the pattern of an infinite series, you can look for a common difference or ratio between each term. You can also try to manipulate the series by grouping terms or using algebraic operations to find a simplified form. In some cases, you may need to use a graph or table to visualize the pattern.

4. How do you know if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

An infinite series is convergent if the sum of the series approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases. It is divergent if the sum of the series does not approach a finite number, but instead, grows infinitely or oscillates. To determine convergence or divergence, you can use tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test.

5. What is the solution to the infinite series (2^(k+3))/(℮^(k-3))?

The solution to this infinite series is not a finite number, so it is considered divergent. This can be determined by using the limit comparison test with the series (1/k). The limit as k approaches infinity is 0, which is less than 1, indicating divergence.