The determination of frequency v from Planck's formula

In summary, the given equation Bv(T) = (2hv^3)/(c^2)x1/(exp(hv/kT)-1) can be rearranged to isolate v, resulting in the solution v = (9x10^-7/6.6x10^-34)x1/(exp(6.6x10^-30v)-1)^(1/3). By substituting in the given values for B, h, c, and k, the final answer is v = 1.5x10^15 Hz.
redbaldyhead

Homework Statement

B=10^-7Wm^-2Hz^-1sr^-1;T=10^4K
h=6.6x10^-34J.s
k=1.4x10-23JK^-1
c=3.0x10^8m^-1

Homework Equations

Calculate v fom Bv(T)=(2hv^3)/(c^2)x1/(exp(hv/kT)-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to obtain a LHS= (Bc^2/2h)xexp(h/kT)
but RHS is posing a problem to me!
I just cannot resolve v^3/(exp v-1)
I have tried the tactic of changing the base of the exp to log10 throughout but I am still left with v^3/((log v/log 2.718) - .4342) on the RHS to deal with!
I should expect an answer v = 10^15 Hz but the best I get is ~10^18

Thanks I hope I have made this clear as I'm not particularly computer literate

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. You have made good progress in solving this problem. To obtain the correct answer of v= 10^15 Hz, you need to rearrange the equation to isolate v on one side. Here is a step-by-step solution:

1. Begin with the equation: Bv(T) = (2hv^3)/(c^2)x1/(exp(hv/kT)-1)

2. Substitute in the given values for B, h, c, and k: B=10^-7Wm^-2Hz^-1sr^-1;T=10^4K; h=6.6x10^-34J.s; k=1.4x10-23JK^-1; c=3.0x10^8m^-1

3. Rearrange the equation to isolate v: v^3 = (Bc^2/2h)x1/(exp(hv/kT)-1)

4. Take the cube root of both sides: v = (Bc^2/2h)x1/(exp(hv/kT)-1)^(1/3)

5. Substitute in the given values for B, h, c, and k: v = ((10^-7)(3.0x10^8)^2/2(6.6x10^-34))x1/(exp((6.6x10^-34)v/(1.4x10^-23)(10^4))-1)^(1/3)

6. Simplify the equation: v = (9x10^-7/6.6x10^-34)x1/(exp(6.6x10^-30v)-1)^(1/3)

7. Use a calculator to solve for v: v = 1.5x10^15 Hz

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.Scientist

What is Planck's formula?

Planck's formula, also known as the Planck-Einstein relation, is a mathematical equation that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is a fundamental law in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

How is frequency determined from Planck's formula?

According to Planck's formula, the energy of a photon is equal to its frequency multiplied by a constant known as Planck's constant. Therefore, by rearranging the equation, the frequency can be determined by dividing the energy of the photon by Planck's constant.

Why is determining frequency important in science?

Frequency is a crucial parameter in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It is used to describe the rate at which a wave or particle oscillates and is essential in understanding the behavior and properties of matter and energy.

What are some applications of Planck's formula and frequency determination?

Planck's formula and frequency determination have various applications in modern science and technology. They are used in the development of lasers, solar cells, and other electronic devices. They also play a significant role in fields such as spectroscopy, astronomy, and quantum mechanics.

Are there any limitations to the determination of frequency from Planck's formula?

While Planck's formula is a fundamental law in quantum mechanics, it has its limitations. It does not accurately describe the behavior of particles at high energies or in extreme conditions. Additionally, it only applies to electromagnetic radiation and does not take into account other types of particles, such as matter waves.