Prove N_{G}(H) is a Subgroup of G

• Thread starter titaniumx3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, we have shown that N_{G}(H) is a subgroup of G by proving that for all x and y in N_{G}(H), xy is an element of N_{G}(H) and for any g in N_{G}(H) and all x in H, (g-1)-1x(g-1) is in H. This shows that N_{G}(H) satisfies the definition of a subgroup and is therefore a subgroup of G.
titaniumx3
Let G be a group and H a subgroup of G. We define the following:

[tex]N_{G}(H) = \{g \in G \,\,|\,\, g^{-1}hg \in H,\, for\, all\,\, h\in H\}[/tex]

Show that [tex]N_{G}(H)[/tex] is a subgroup of G.

I've shown that for all [itex]x,\, y[/itex] of [itex]N_{G}(H)[/itex], [itex]xy[/itex] is an element of [itex]N_{G}(H)[/itex], but how do I show that [itex]x^{-1}[/itex] is an element of [itex]N_{G}(H)[/itex] ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
H is a subgroup, hence H has inverses so for the element x in H, and the element g-1hg consider the element g-1x-1g which is in NG(H) since x-1 is in H.

I think d leet mean "and the element g-1xg".

What is the product (g-1xg)(g-1x-1g)?

It's the identity.

But, aren't we supposed to show that (g-1)-1x(g-1) = gxg-1 is in H?

titaniumx3 said:
It's the identity.

But, aren't we supposed to show that (g-1)-1x(g-1) = gxg-1 is in H?

yup that's right, think about what halls just said though and it answers your question, you know (g^-1xg)(g^-1x^-1g) = e. This tells you what?

ircdan said:
yup that's right, think about what halls just said though and it answers your question, you know (g^-1xg)(g^-1x^-1g) = e. This tells you what?

It tells me the inverse of g-1xg is g-1x-1g (which must also be contained in H), but how does that show that g-1 is in NG(H)? (i.e. do all elements of NG(H) have inverses?).

?? Was that a typo. You are not trying to prove that g-1 is in NG(H), you are trying to prove x-1 is.

And the fact that g-1x-1g is in H shows that x-1 is in NG(H).

Now I'm getting confused lol. According to the definition of NG(H) from my original post, we want to show that for all g in NG(H), g-1 is also in NG(H). In other words we have to show that for any g in NG(H) and all x in H, (g-1)-1x(g-1) is H.

Am I correct in saying this?

1. What does it mean for a group to be a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger group that also forms a group under the same operation. This means that the elements of the subgroup must follow the same rules and properties as the elements of the larger group.

2. How do you prove that NG(H) is a subgroup of G?

To prove that NG(H) is a subgroup of G, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions of a subgroup: closure, associativity, and identity. This means that the operation performed on any two elements of the subgroup must result in another element of the subgroup, the operation must be associative, and there must be an identity element within the subgroup.

3. What is the significance of NG(H) being a subgroup of G?

The fact that NG(H) is a subgroup of G means that it is a smaller, more manageable group that still contains all the important properties and characteristics of the larger group. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the larger group.

4. Can NG(H) be a proper subgroup of G?

Yes, NG(H) can be a proper subgroup of G. This means that it is a subgroup that is not equal to the larger group G, and it contains only a subset of the elements of G. In other words, it is a smaller group that is still a subgroup of G.

5. How does proving NG(H) is a subgroup of G relate to group theory?

Proving NG(H) is a subgroup of G is an important part of group theory as it helps to understand the structure and properties of groups. It also allows for the application of various theorems and concepts in group theory to the subgroup, making it a valuable tool for further analysis and study.