Estimate pH of KMnO4: Is It Neutral?

• Thread starter Mantas
  • Start date
The pH of KMnO4 solution (strong oxidizer) can be estimated by considering that it is a salt of a strong base and strong acid (HMnO4). This means that it is neutral in solution and does not play a role in acid/base reactions. The pKa for Permanganic Acid is -0.3, but it is not commonly listed in reference materials as a strong or weak acid. However, it is known to be a powerful oxidizer, which does not affect its pH. In summary, KMnO4 solution is neutral due to its composition as a salt of a strong base and strong acid, and its pKa value does not determine its pH.
Mantas
How could I estimate the pH of KMnO4 solution (strong oxidizer)? I believe it is neutral, but is that because it takes part in redox reactions and not acid/base or another reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: it is a salt of a strong base and strong acid (HMnO4).

Do you have the Ka value for Permanganic Acid? I'm about 500 miles removed from my CRC. Permanganic acid and the MnO4- salts are not on any of my reference materials as being a strong/weak anything. I do know that MnO4- is a great oxidizer though.

pKa = -0.3 (for ionic strength 1.0).

it's a highly oxidized salt

1. What is KMnO4?

KMnO4, also known as potassium permanganate, is a chemical compound commonly used as an oxidizing agent in various industries and laboratories.

2. How is the pH of KMnO4 determined?

The pH of KMnO4 can be estimated by using an acid-base indicator or by performing a titration with a known concentration of a strong acid or base.

3. Is KMnO4 a neutral substance?

No, KMnO4 is not neutral. It is a highly acidic compound with a pH of around 3.

4. Why is it important to know the pH of KMnO4?

Knowing the pH of KMnO4 is important in various applications, such as in determining the appropriate concentration for specific reactions or in adjusting the pH of a solution.

5. Can the pH of KMnO4 vary?

Yes, the pH of KMnO4 can vary depending on the concentration and the presence of other substances in the solution. It is important to measure the pH each time it is used to ensure accuracy in experiments or processes.