Rational Polynomials over a Field

In summary, if two polynomials over a field, f and g, have a greatest common divisor of 1, and if the rational functions a(x)/f(x) and b(x)/g(x) are equal, with deg(a)<deg(f) and deg(b)<deg(g), then it is only true if a(x)=b(x)=0.
PingPong

Homework Statement

Suppose there are two polynomials over a field, f and g, and that gcd(f,g)=1. Consider the rational functions a(x)/f(x) and b(x)/g(x), where deg(a)<deg(f) and deg(b)<deg(g). Show that if a(x)/f(x)=b(x)/g(x) is only true if a(x)=b(x)=0.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I've not really gotten any solid ideas here, but these are the few things that have gone through my mind.

If they are equal then ag=bf, so deg(a)+deg(g)=deg(b)+deg(f). We also have deg(ag)=deg(a)+deg(g)<deg(f)+deg(g) and also deg(bf)=deg(b)+deg(f)<deg(g)+deg(f), so there are no problems there.

Since f and g are relatively prime, I can write 1=fu+gw for some polynomials u and w. Thus f=(1-gw)/u, and the equality becomes agu=b(1-gw)=b-bgw.

Am I on the right track? Any hints? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Okay, here's something else I've come up with in the past few minutes. Since ag=bf, we have a=bf/g. Thus g divides bf and since, gcd(f,g)=1 so g divides b. But the degree of g is greater than that of b, so b is necessarily the zero polynomial, and a follows similarly.

Is this okay?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last few minutes have been very productive. You convinced me.

What is a rational polynomial?

A rational polynomial is a mathematical expression that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. It is also known as a rational function or a ratio of polynomials.

What is a field in mathematics?

In mathematics, a field is a set of numbers that follow certain rules for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Examples of fields include the real numbers, complex numbers, and rational numbers.

What is the degree of a rational polynomial?

The degree of a rational polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, the degree of the rational polynomial 3x^2 + 2x + 1 is 2, as the highest exponent of x is 2.

How do you simplify a rational polynomial?

To simplify a rational polynomial, you can use polynomial long division or factorization. By dividing the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor, you can reduce the polynomial to its simplest form.

What is the domain of a rational polynomial?

The domain of a rational polynomial is all the values that the variable can take without causing the denominator to equal zero. In other words, the domain is all the values that do not result in undefined expressions.