Aerospace Engineering Basics: Get the Intro Info You Need

• Thread starter sdobbers
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for information on basic/intro Aerospace engineering topics as they plan to major in Aerospace. They are interested in the space route and specifically in the area of propulsion. They are seeking recommendations for websites or books on topics such as fluid mechanics, spacecraft dynamics/orbital mechanics, structural dynamics, materials, and compressible fluids.
sdobbers
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some information on basic/intro Aerospace engineering topics. I'm currently double majoring in math/physics...but am planning on mastering in Aerospace. I figure I'm going to have to take some extra classes, so I might as well start to get a feel for some of the topics.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, are you leaning more towards atmospheric or space?

I'm on the space route, and well, the fundamentals you'll probably need or want to know would be fluid mechanics, spacecraft dynamics/orbital mechanics, for the most part. Then all the other classes in support would be like structural dynamics, materials, compressible fluids, etc.

I'm leaning more towards the space route, most likely propulsion area. Do you know of any sites that have information on those topics, or books on those topics?

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and related equipment.

2. What are the key concepts of aerospace engineering?

The key concepts of aerospace engineering include aerodynamics, structures, propulsion, and control systems. These concepts are essential in designing and building aircraft and spacecraft.

3. What are the career opportunities in aerospace engineering?

Career opportunities in aerospace engineering include working in aircraft or spacecraft design, manufacturing, maintenance, and research and development. Other options include working in the military or for government agencies such as NASA.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in aerospace engineering?

Some key skills necessary for a career in aerospace engineering include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and strong communication and teamwork skills. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages may also be beneficial.

5. What are some common misconceptions about aerospace engineering?

Some common misconceptions about aerospace engineering include that it is only for people who are good at math and that it only involves designing and building airplanes. In reality, aerospace engineering involves a variety of disciplines and career paths, and individuals with diverse skill sets and interests can find success in this field.