R^2 -> R^2 transformation of unit circle into square.

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a unit circle into a square with vertices at (0,0),(0,1),(1,0),(1,1) using polar coordinates. The initial equation is rewritten in parametric form as x = cos t and y = sin t. To convert it to a square, the parametric equation is then converted into a polar parametric equation, r=\pm\sqrt{cos^4(T)+sin^2(T)} and \theta=tan^{-1}(tan(T)). The final result is four x-y parametric equations with constraints, -1\leq T \leq1 for X_1,X_2,Y_3,Y_4 and T=0 for Y_1
glog
I have a unit circle:
x^2+y^2 <= 1

And I'm asked to convert it to a square with verticies (0,0),(0,1),(1,0),(1,1).

Now obviously I have to do this in polar coordinates, so I've rewritten the equation as:

x = cos t
y = sin t

I'm sort of drawing a blank after setting up these equations. How can I convert this curve into straight lines. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those aren't really polar coordinates, they're parametric. Converting your unit circle equation into a polar equation would yield, [tex]r=\pm\sqrt{\frac{1}{2cos^2(\theta)}[/tex], to make this into a square, you'll have to convert this polar equation to a parametric equation.

Oops, I just noticed I did something wrong, I'll try to fix it.

Okay, I think I found my problem...
What you need to do is to convert the parametric equation you have into a polar parametric equation. The answer I got was:
[tex]r=\pm\sqrt{cos^4(T)+sin^2(T)}[/tex]
[tex]\theta=tan^{-1}(tan(T)[/tex]

This simplifies to four x-y parametric equations with constraints:

[tex]-1\leq T \leq1 for X_1,X_2,Y_3,Y_4[/tex]

[tex]T=0 for Y_1,Y_2,X_3,X_4[/tex]

[tex]X_1=tan^{-1}(tan(T))[/tex]
[tex]Y_1=\sqrt{cos^4(T)+sin^2(T)}[/tex]

[tex]X_2=tan^{-1}(tan(T))[/tex]
[tex]Y_2=-\sqrt{cos^4(T)+sin^2(T)}[/tex]

[tex]X_3=\sqrt{cos^4(T)+sin^2(T)}[/tex]
[tex]Y_3=tan^{-1}(tan(T))[/tex]

[tex]X_4=-\sqrt{cos^4(T)+sin^2(T)}[/tex]
[tex]Y_4=tan^{-1}(tan(T))[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How is the unit circle transformed into a square?

The unit circle can be transformed into a square by using a mathematical function that maps the points on the circle to points on the square. This function is typically a linear transformation that stretches or compresses the points of the circle to fit within the boundaries of the square.

2. Why is the unit circle often transformed into a square?

The unit circle is often transformed into a square because it allows for easier visualization and calculations. The square has equal sides and right angles, making it easier to work with mathematically compared to the circular shape of the unit circle.

3. Does the transformation affect the properties of the unit circle?

No, the transformation from a unit circle to a square does not affect the properties of the unit circle. The points on the circle are simply mapped to different points on the square, but the distance between each point and the origin remains the same.

4. How does the transformation affect the coordinates of points on the unit circle?

The transformation from a unit circle to a square changes the coordinates of the points on the circle. The x-coordinate of each point is stretched or compressed to fit within the boundaries of the square, while the y-coordinate remains the same.

5. Are there any real-world applications for transforming a unit circle into a square?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for transforming a unit circle into a square, such as in computer graphics and image processing. This transformation is also used in mathematical modeling and data analysis, where it allows for easier visualization and analysis of data points.