Find High Voltage Power Supply on a Budget

In summary, the individual is looking for suggestions for a high voltage power supply for their electrical experiments with a budget of less than £70. They are specifically interested in a 20kV range and will be running the supply from UK mains. They have also found a link to a potential solution on the website Instructables.
Galadirith
Hi guys, I have been wanting to many electrical experiments over the last few years that need a high voltage power supply, till now I havnt found one suitable for me and thus wondering if anyone here on the PF has any suggestions. I don't exactly have a large budget, In fairness I would like to make my own out of old parts of stuff, when I say low budget i mean less than £70 (Im quite strapped for cash but I am only in secondary school so you wouldn't expect to be loaded) even that's a bit of a push, Obviously in the understand of the risks and precuasions I would have to take. Thanks guys :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "High voltage".

Ah of course sorry about that russ, I am thinking about 20kV range. I should state as well that I am looking to run this from UK mains 240V AC 50 Hz Thanks

i found this link

http://www.instructables.com/id/MAKE-A-HIGH-VOLTAGE-SUPPLY-IN-5-MINUTES/"

i don't know what the voltage or wattage is, but there might be other things on the website that can help you and say what the voltage and wattage is

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How much does a high voltage power supply cost?

The cost of a high voltage power supply can vary depending on the specific model and brand. However, there are budget-friendly options available for as low as $50. It is important to research and compare prices from different suppliers to find the best deal.

2. What should I look for in a budget-friendly high voltage power supply?

When looking for a budget-friendly high voltage power supply, it is important to consider the voltage range, current output, and voltage stability. You should also check for safety features, such as over-voltage and over-current protection, to ensure the safety of your equipment and yourself.

3. Are there any potential risks when using a budget-friendly high voltage power supply?

As with any electrical equipment, there are potential risks when using a high voltage power supply, regardless of its cost. It is important to follow safety precautions and handle the equipment with caution. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of electrical circuits and to always read the user manual before use.

4. Can a budget-friendly high voltage power supply be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, a budget-friendly high voltage power supply can be used for scientific experiments. However, it is important to carefully choose a power supply that meets the specific requirements and voltage ranges needed for your experiment. It is also recommended to calibrate the power supply before use to ensure accurate results.

5. Where can I find a reputable supplier for a budget-friendly high voltage power supply?

There are many reputable suppliers that offer budget-friendly high voltage power supplies. You can research and compare prices from different online retailers, electronics stores, or directly from the manufacturer. It is important to read reviews and check the warranty and return policies before making a purchase.