Designing a Digital Timer to Automate Geyser Control

In summary, the individual is interested in building a digital timer to control their hot water heater in order to save power. They are not familiar with PICs and would prefer to use logic ICs. The timer must have at least 3 preset 'on-times' and 3 'off-times'. They are seeking help to get started and have considered purchasing an AC wall timer, but it would not be legal to install in South Africa and may not be able to handle the power of a geyser. They are also aware of timers that can be inserted into an electrical panel, but their goal is to learn about logic ICs rather than purchasing a pre-built unit.
Fuzigish
I want to build a digital timer that will switch my geyser on and off at a preset time in order to save power. I don’t know much about PICs so I would rather try using only logic ICs. It has to have at least 3 preset ‘on-times’ and 3 ‘off-times’. Can anyone help me to get started?

Engineering news on Phys.org
seriously, just go to the hardware store and pick up an AC wall timer. something like this:
http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/65/6526_300.jpg

maybe get a "heavy duty" unit, while you're at it. don't know how much power a "geyser" uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately it would be illegal to build something like that into a distribution board in South-Africa. Plus an average geyser is 4000W – 6000W, so I don’t think even a heavy-duty unit would work.

This is an example of something similar: http://www.geyserwise.co.za/web/index.php"

Last edited by a moderator:
a "geyser" is a hot water heater?

there are also timers that control a lot more current and could be inserted into an electrical panel. what i don't get is how it's going to be any more legal for you to insert some homemade controller into a panel. if that's your goal, you'll need to buy an approved product.

Yes, a ‘geyser’ is a hot water heater.
This whole exercise is not to build something that will necessarily be used. I just want to learn something out of this about logic-ICs, so buying a pre-built unit would be pretty useless.

What is a digital timer and how does it work?

A digital timer is an electronic device that measures and displays time digitally. It works by using an internal clock, which is typically powered by a battery, to keep track of time. The user can set the timer to a specific time or duration, and it will automatically turn on or off a device connected to it at the designated time.

Why would a digital timer be useful for geyser control?

A digital timer can be useful for geyser control because it allows for automatic and precise control of when the geyser turns on and off. This can save energy and money by only heating water when it is needed, rather than keeping the geyser running constantly.

What features should be considered when designing a digital timer for geyser control?

When designing a digital timer for geyser control, some important features to consider are the ability to set multiple on/off times, a clear and easy-to-read display, the option for manual override, and a durable and waterproof design for use in a bathroom or outdoor setting.

What are the potential drawbacks of using a digital timer for geyser control?

One potential drawback of using a digital timer for geyser control is the initial cost of purchasing the timer. Additionally, if the timer malfunctions or loses power, it may cause the geyser to turn on or off at the wrong times. There is also a risk of the timer not being able to handle high voltage and causing damage to the geyser or other connected devices.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a digital timer for geyser control?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when using a digital timer for geyser control. Make sure to only use timers that are specifically designed for high voltage devices like geysers. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and use, and to regularly check and maintain the timer for any potential hazards. Finally, be sure to turn off the power to the geyser before making any adjustments to the timer.