Mass concentrated at a single point?

• Thread starter xxariesxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Point
In summary, the center of mass concept is a way of simplifying the mathematics when dealing with a system of identical particles. By averaging out their positions, we can simplify the equation and get the same result as if we had treated the system as a single object with a center of mass.
xxariesxx
I'm trying to understand this concept. For example if there is a wooden sphere and we said that all of its mass is concentrated at a single point, can I think of this as the mass of the entire sphere being contained in one of its atoms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

No need for atoms here - this is just a useful mathematical device for solving problems. You don't have to try to visualize it relating to reality.

Minor quibble- it's not a mathematical device, it's a *conceptual* device. Replacing an extended object with a point object located at the center of mass, having the same mass as the original object is a conceptual simplification.

Andy Resnick said:
Minor quibble- it's not a mathematical device, it's a *conceptual* device. Replacing an extended object with a point object located at the center of mass, having the same mass as the original object is a conceptual simplification.

Any compound system is described with its center of inertia coordinates (they do not correspond to a real material point-like heavy particle) and with the relative coordinates.
It is not a replacement of objects, it is a variable change.

When you describe your wooden sphere with only its center of inertia coordinates, you know what a "simplification" you do - you just omit the relative coordinate equations.

Bob.

Let's say we want to build up a shape of mass (a sphere, for example), i.e. by repeatedly placing identical masses of [itex]dm[/itex] until we've made our shape and keeping track of their centre of mass (which is a [itex]dm\mathbf{r}[/itex]. If we have two particles we get

[itex]\frac{dm\mathbf{r_1}+dm\mathbf{r_2}}{2dm}[/itex]

if we have three we have

[itex]\frac{dm\mathbf{r_1}+dm\mathbf{r_2}+dm\mathbf{r_3}}{3}[/itex]

and so on. All we're finding is the average here. Now let's say the 4th mass, as an example, lies at exactly the same place as where the second mass placed was (i.e. there is more mass at that position) then our sum becomes

[itex]\frac{dm\mathbf{r_1}+dm\mathbf{r_2}+dm\mathbf{r_3}+dm\mathbf{r_4}}{4}[/itex]

but [itex]r_4=r_2[/itex], therefore, we can say

[itex]\frac{dm\mathbf{r_1}+2dm\mathbf{r_2}+dm\mathbf{r_3}}{4}[/itex].

Hopefully from here you can see how we arrive at the center of mass concept

Now, the reason we do this is because it ends up simplifying things conceptually but keeping the identical mathematics. It kinds puts the many-body aspect (the fact that we're dealing with a ton of different masses) under the rug, so to speak. To demonstrate, let's take two time derivative of our center of mass. and since our masses are constant in time the derivative only acts on our [itex]\frac{d^2\mathbf{r_i}}{dt^2}=\frac{\mathbf{v_i}}[/itex] so our center of mass equation becomes:

[itex]\frac{d^2\mathbf{R_{CM}}{dt^2}=\mathbf{A_{CM}}=\frac{\Sigma_i m_i \mathbf{a_i}{M}[/itex]

Now if we times this by our total mass ([itex]M=\Sigma_i m_i[/itex]) we get:

[itex]M\mathbf{A_{CM}}=M\frac{\Sigma_i m_i \mathbf{a_i}}{M}=\Sigma_i m_i \mathbf{a_i}[/itex]

which we see is exactly the equation for the total net force of a system of particles [itex]\Sigma_i m_i \mathbf{a_i} = \Sigma_i \mathbf{F_i} = \mathbf{F_{total}}[/itex]

so we see that by treating the system as a single giant particle of mass M and position [itex]\mathbf{R_{CM}}[/itex] we get the exact same result as if we'd just treated each particle individually. It's just a lot easier.

What is "mass concentrated at a single point"?

Mass concentrated at a single point refers to an object or system that has all of its mass located at a single position or point in space.

How does mass concentration at a single point affect the object's physics?

Mass concentration at a single point can greatly affect an object's physics. It can affect its weight, center of mass, and rotational inertia, among other things.

What are some examples of mass concentrated at a single point?

Some common examples of mass concentrated at a single point include a point mass, a particle, and a small object such as a marble or a baseball.

What are the implications of having mass concentrated at a single point in a gravitational field?

When an object has mass concentrated at a single point in a gravitational field, it can experience strong gravitational forces, leading to acceleration and potential energy changes.

How is mass concentrated at a single point different from distributed mass?

In contrast to mass concentrated at a single point, distributed mass refers to an object or system that has its mass spread out over a larger area or volume. This can result in different physics and behaviors compared to objects with mass concentrated at a single point.