Calculating Friction Force: 800N Weight & 15° Angle

In summary, the problem involves a person running with a weight of 800 N and generating a backward and downward force of 1000 N at an angle of 15 degrees from vertical. The question is asking for the maximum friction force and actual friction force generated between the surface and the person's shoe, with a coefficient of friction of 0.09. The use of the formula F=ur is suggested, but the angle may need to be taken into account. A diagram and list of all forces may be helpful in solving the problem.
tweake
Here's there problem:
You are running, your weight is 800 N. You generate a backward and downward force of 1000 N at an angle of 15 degrees from vertical. What is the maximum friction force you can generate and the actual fritction force generated between the surface area and your shoe. Coefficient of friction=0.09

im not sure how to start this i have been using the F=ur but I am not sure how the angle works into everything. Thank You sooooooo much :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
But can you draw the figure and list all the forces applied to You ?
I think I can help you, but first you should draw and post the picture...

I think, for Ox, you have F=urSin15
for Oy you have F=urCos15

1. How do I calculate friction force with an 800N weight and a 15° angle?

The formula for calculating friction force is F=µN, where F is the friction force, µ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. In this scenario, the normal force would be equal to the weight of the object, which is 800N. To find the coefficient of friction, you will need to know the materials and surfaces in contact. Once you have the coefficient of friction, multiply it by 800N to find the friction force.

2. What is the normal force in this scenario?

The normal force in this scenario is equal to the weight of the object, which is 800N. This is because the normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, and in this case, the weight of the object is acting perpendicular to the surface.

3. Can the angle affect the friction force?

Yes, the angle can affect the friction force. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, which means the friction force would also decrease. This is because the weight of the object is now distributed between the normal force and the force acting parallel to the surface.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the friction force?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how difficult it is for two surfaces to slide against each other. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the friction force will be. This means that if the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces is high, the friction force will be higher, and the object will be more difficult to move.

5. What are some factors that can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, such as the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the materials of the surfaces. The type of motion (sliding, rolling, or stationary) can also affect the coefficient of friction. Additionally, temperature and the presence of lubricants can also impact the coefficient of friction.