Solve the differential (just understand 1st step)

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and how to solve it. The first step is to make a substitution for convenience, which transforms the equation into a Confluent Hypergeometric Differential Equation. The expert suggests that the substitution was made in order to set up the equation in a more familiar form for solving.
hoch449
Solve the following differential:

[tex]\frac{d^2}{d\theta^2} + cot\theta\frac{dS}{d\theta} - \frac{m^2}{sin^2\theta}S(\theta) + \frac{cS(\theta)}{\hbar}=0[/tex]

The first step is:

"For convenience we change the independent variable, by making the substitution [tex]w=cos\theta[/tex]"

So my question is:

How do you know that you need to make this substitution? How does this make things easier?

**Also this differential ends up being transformed into a Confluent Hypergeometric Differential Equation** If that helps..

My guess as to why, is that they are trying to set up this differential so it looks like the standard form CHDE which we know how to solve. What do you think?

where standard form is:

[tex]x\frac{d^2u}{dx^2} + (b-x)\frac{du}{dx} + au=0[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing S in your first term, so your differential equation probably should be :
[tex]\frac{d^2 S}{d\theta^2} + cot\theta\frac{dS}{d\theta} - \frac{m^2}{sin^2\theta}S(\theta) + \frac{cS(\theta)}{\hbar}=0[/tex]

As far as the substitution is concerned, some clever person figured out that it would be a good one to make. If w = cos(theta), then theta = arccos(w), and dw = -sin(theta)d theta. When you make your substitution, it seems to me that you'll need to do something with S = S(theta), dS/d theta, and d^2 S/(d theta)^2 as well, to get rid of theta everywhere it appears.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change.

What is the first step in solving a differential equation?

The first step in solving a differential equation is to identify the type of equation and determine the order of the derivative. This will help determine the appropriate method to use for solving the equation.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves one independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives.

What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods such as undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters can also be used for specific types of equations.

How can I check if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

To check if a solution to a differential equation is correct, you can plug the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can also take the derivative of the solution and see if it matches the derivative in the original equation.