Relative Humidity: Ice Block's Effects on Room Air | Homework Questions

In summary, the statements made about the space just above a small block of ice placed in still air are as follows: (A) The absolute humidity of air in the space just above the ice block is higher than the absolute humidity of air away from the block. (B) The relative humidity of air in the space just above the ice block is higher than the relative humidity of air away from the block. (C) The air in the space just above the ice block is drier than the air away from the block. After examining the effects of temperature on absolute humidity and relative humidity, the correct answer is (3) B & C only.
leena19

Homework Statement

Consider the folowing statements made about the space just above a small block of ice placed in still air,where the room temperature and the relative humidity are 30 degrees and80%
(A) Absolute humidity of air in the space just above the iceblock is higher than the absolute humidity of air away from the block
(B) Relative humidity of air in the space just above the ice block is higher than the Relative humidity of air away from the block.
(C) Air in the space just above the ice block is drier than the air away from the block

which of the above statements is true
(1) only A (2)A & B only (3)B &C only (4)A&Conly (5)A,B&C only

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Relative humidity increases when the temperature decreases,
as for absolute humidity ,I don't think the temperature has any effect on AH?but I'm not sure.
I also think the temperature above the iceblock is less than its surrounding temp. so I think B would be true and maybe A?
If B were true ,I don't think C would be true,so I think the answer is(2),but I'm very very doubtful.
Hope someone could help.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks so much for the link,sir.
so when temperature decreases,the absolute humidity decreases(dew point also decreases),
then,
(A) would be wrong,cause the temperature above the ice block would be less than the surrounding temperature,so AH would be less here than that of the surrounding,and C would be correct for the same reasons.
(B)would also be correct,
so the answer is (3) B &C only?

THANK YOU

leena19 said:
Thanks so much for the link,sir.
so when temperature decreases,the absolute humidity decreases(dew point also decreases),
then,
(A) would be wrong,cause the temperature above the ice block would be less than the surrounding temperature,so AH would be less here than that of the surrounding,and C would be correct for the same reasons.
(B)would also be correct,
so the answer is (3) B &C only?

THANK YOU

I'd think so. Remember Absolute Humidity is the amount of water that a volume of air holds. The relative humidity is what percentage of the 100% absolute humidity is measured at a particular temperature.

Absolute humidity is mass/volume and relative humidity is a %.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_humidity#Absolute_humidity

1. What is "relative humidity"?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor the air can hold at a specific temperature. It is expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating more water vapor in the air.

2. How is "relative humidity" different from "absolute humidity"?

Relative humidity takes into account the temperature of the air, while absolute humidity does not. This means that the same amount of water vapor can result in different relative humidity percentages depending on the temperature.

3. Why is "relative humidity" important to consider?

Relative humidity can impact the comfort level of a given environment, as well as the growth of plants and microorganisms. It can also play a role in weather patterns and the formation of precipitation.

4. How is "relative humidity" measured?

Relative humidity is typically measured using a device called a hygrometer, which can be either mechanical or electronic. These devices measure the temperature and the amount of water vapor in the air to calculate the relative humidity percentage.

5. What are the ideal levels of "relative humidity" for human health and comfort?

The ideal relative humidity range for human health and comfort is between 30-50%. Lower levels can cause dryness and irritation of the skin, eyes, and respiratory system, while higher levels can contribute to the growth of mold and mildew.