Calculating the Coefficient of Static Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between a 25 kg chair and a horizontal floor. The chair requires a 365 N horizontal force to set it in motion and a 327 N horizontal force to keep it moving at a constant velocity. The person asking for help is a beginner in physics and is looking for guidance on what equations to use. They later found the answer by using their textbook.
Sachin_Sharma

Homework Statement

A 25 kg chair intially at rest on a horizontal floor requires 365 N horizontal force to set it in motion. Once the chair is in motion, a 327 N horizontal force keeps it moving at a constant velocity.

A: Find the coefficient of Static Friction between the chair and the floor
B: Find the coefficient of Kinetic Friction between the chair and the florr.

Homework Equations

I am very new to physics and my teacher has been absent for the entire week. I have no idea where to begin and what equations to use. I really hope that someone out there can help me in my plight.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sachin_Sharma, welcome to PF.
You must have a textbook. Now what is the expression for the frictional force?

Thanks so much! I really should have taken this posting down because I actually did manage to find the answer by using my textbook! I was one step ahead of you, but I nonetheless appreciate your posting rl.bhat.

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a numerical value that represents the amount of force needed to overcome the frictional force between two surfaces in order to keep them from moving relative to each other. It is denoted by the symbol μs.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μs = Fmax/N, where Fmax is the maximum force of static friction and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, their roughness, and the amount of force pressing them together. It also depends on the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can have a value greater than 1. This means that it takes more force to overcome the static friction and move the surfaces relative to each other. However, it is rare for the coefficient of static friction to be greater than 1, as it usually indicates a very strong bond between the surfaces.

5. How is the coefficient of static friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of static friction is used in many engineering and scientific applications to determine the stability and safety of structures and machines. It is also used in the design of tires and brakes for vehicles, as well as in the manufacturing of products that require controlled sliding or gripping, such as conveyor belts and shoes.