What does this mean in matlab?

In summary, the conversation was about understanding the meaning of 1.0e+012 in MATLAB and how it is used as a notation similar to scientific notation. The conversation also touched on formatting options in MATLAB.
sara_87

Homework Statement

what does this mean in matlab:

y =

1.0e+012 *

Columns 1 through 9

0.0000 -0.0000 0.0000 -0.0000 0.0000 -0.0000 0.0002 -0.0181 2.5985

Column 10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand that y is a vector with 10 elements but what does 1.0e+012 * mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
1.0e+012 means 1.0 X 1012. It's a notation used in computer circles that's very similar to scientific notation.

I don't know about the *, if that's just something you added. If not, I don't know what that means.

no, i didnt add it...it's actually there.
so, for the values in the first post, the first 6 values are just 0. and the rest are mutiplied by 1.0 X 10^12
?

but what if the value is:
matlab just puts:
assumes this is 0?

I'm guess that this is a format problem. Try this statement in your script:

format long

For other options, see your MATLAB documentation.

thanks!
format long works nicely
;)

1. What is the purpose of "What does this mean in matlab?"

The purpose of this question is to gain a better understanding of the meaning or significance of a specific line of code or function in the MATLAB programming language.

2. How can I determine the meaning of a specific code in matlab?

You can determine the meaning of a specific code in MATLAB by using the built-in help function, which provides detailed information and examples for each function or command.

3. Can I use online resources to understand what a particular code means in matlab?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as MATLAB forums, documentation, and tutorials, that can help you understand the meaning and usage of specific codes in MATLAB.

4. Are there any common mistakes or misinterpretations when trying to understand what a code means in matlab?

Yes, some common mistakes when interpreting code in MATLAB include using incorrect syntax, not considering the order of operations, or not understanding the data types being used.

5. How can I improve my understanding of what a particular code means in matlab?

To improve your understanding of what a particular code means in MATLAB, you can practice writing and running your own codes, study the documentation and examples provided by MATLAB, and seek help from experienced users or forums.