Offshore Platforms and Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the various branches of engineering commonly associated with the offshore platform and oil rig industry, such as mechanical, structural, marine, petroleum, chemical, and electrical engineering. The role of structural engineers in rig design is highlighted, along with potential jobs for mechanical engineers in this field. The conversation also mentions the use of various engineering disciplines in designing and maintaining offshore platforms.
||spoon||
Hi,

I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering and am really interested in Offshore platforms/Oil rigs etc.

What branch of engineering is most commonly associated with this industry? I would have thought structural would be very active but constantly hear that mechanical engineers are very numerous in this field.

The role of structural engineers in rig design/construction is pretty obvious. I was also wondering what kind of jobs a mechanical engineer would be likely to obtain in this area?

Cheers,

- Spoon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know a few MEs who are working offshore at entry level. They watch over all of the instrumentation and do analysis to make sure everything is and will continue to run smoothly. I don't know much more than the basic details of that though.

MEs will also be the ones designing and managing the manufacture of many of the components including, for example, those under products and systems at http://www.geoilandgas.com/businesses/ge_oilandgas/en/prod_serv/index.htm [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Mechanical engineering (structure and power systems), structural engineering (could also be Civ Eng), marine engineering (Civ Eng specializing in marine structures), Petroleum engineering (exploration and well logging), Chemical engineering (Process engineering, storage systems, separation), Electrical engineering (electronics and electrical power systems) are all displines represented on an exploration or production platform.

In addition to the labourers.

||spoon|| said:
Hi,

I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering and am really interested in Offshore platforms/Oil rigs etc.

What branch of engineering is most commonly associated with this industry? I would have thought structural would be very active but constantly hear that mechanical engineers are very numerous in this field.

The role of structural engineers in rig design/construction is pretty obvious. I was also wondering what kind of jobs a mechanical engineer would be likely to obtain in this area?

Cheers,

- Spoon

Like Astro pointed out, we use all types of engineering disciplines.

If you want to design the vessel, you should look into Naval Architecture and Structural Engineering. If you want to design the systems on board, you'll have to decided what system (i.e. mechanical, electrical, etc).

If you want to design wells and the like, you'll want to look into Petroleum Engineering.

CS

1. What are offshore platforms and how do they work?

Offshore platforms, also known as oil rigs, are structures that are used to extract oil and gas from beneath the ocean floor. They are typically situated in deep waters and can either be fixed to the ocean floor or have movable parts. These platforms have drilling equipment that allows for the extraction of oil and gas from underwater reservoirs.

2. What type of materials are used in the construction of offshore platforms?

Offshore platforms are typically made from steel due to its strength and corrosion resistance in the harsh ocean environment. Other materials such as concrete and aluminum may also be used in the construction of specific components of the platform.

3. How are offshore platforms designed to withstand extreme weather conditions?

Offshore platforms are designed to withstand extreme weather conditions such as hurricanes, strong winds, and large waves. They are built with a strong foundation that is anchored to the ocean floor and are equipped with advanced weather monitoring systems. The platforms also have emergency shut-off systems and evacuation plans in place in case of severe weather.

4. What role does mechanical engineering play in the design and construction of offshore platforms?

Mechanical engineering plays a crucial role in the design and construction of offshore platforms. Mechanical engineers are responsible for designing the structural components of the platform, including the drilling equipment, pipelines, and safety systems. They also ensure that the platform is able to withstand the harsh ocean environment and operate efficiently.

5. How do offshore platforms impact the environment?

Offshore platforms can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, they provide a vital source of energy and contribute to the global economy. However, they can also have negative effects such as oil spills and disturbance of marine life. To mitigate these impacts, strict regulations and safety measures are in place to prevent accidents and minimize environmental damage.