Need help with where i can get a switch.

• Thread starter mjb811
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the person is looking for an on/off toggle switch for their bilge pump on their jet ski. The mounting panel is 2 inches thick, so the threaded part of the switch needs to be 2 inches long. They also need a plastic or waterproof cover to keep the switch water tight. They have searched various electronics stores but have not found one. They have considered using a shorter switch and longer wires, but it would not fit in the hole. They have also thought about checking with the manufacturer, but it is an aftermarket system. They have not found any identifying numbers on the switch. Suggestions for where to find the switch include Fry's, Tanner Electronics, and a marine supply store.
mjb811
i need an on/off toggle switch for my bilge bump on my jet ski. But, the mounting panel is about 2 inches thick where the fiberglass is. the stem could be short but the threaded (back part) needs to be about 2 inches long in order to fit. I also need a platic or waterproof cover for it to keep it water tight. I have look on MCM electronics, Radio shaft, and switches unlimited but no luck. anyone know where i can find one? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you not just use any ole toggle swith? I mean, could you not use something shorter, and just run longer wires to make up the difference?

Also, have you checked with the manufacturer of your Jet ski? You might try taking the old switch to an auto parts store.

a regular toggle switch will not work because there will be no way to get the connection part in the hole and tighten the backing nut. it is an aftermarket bilge system so the jet ski manufacturer won't have any info on it.

What kind of jet ski is it?

Who makes the bilge pump?
(have you checked with the pump manufacturer to ask for replacement parts?)

Any identifying numbers on the switch?
If so, what are they?

Fry's, possibly. There's a place here in the DFW area called Tanner Electronics that carries a wide assortment. Perhaps Mauser.

Try a marine supply. They will have push-pull switches, similar to the old auto starter switches, that have long shanks. That is a very common problem in boats, the panels are very thick.

1. Where can I purchase a switch?

You can purchase a switch at most electronic stores, such as Best Buy or Fry's, as well as online retailers like Amazon or Newegg. Make sure to check for availability and pricing before making a purchase.

2. What is the difference between a switch and a router?

A switch is used to connect devices within a network, while a router is used to connect multiple networks. A switch is typically used for creating a local area network (LAN), while a router is used for creating a wide area network (WAN).

3. How do I know which type of switch I need?

The type of switch you need depends on the size and complexity of your network. If you have a small network with only a few devices, a basic unmanaged switch may suffice. However, if you have a larger network with multiple devices and require more control and customization, a managed switch would be a better option.

4. Can I use a switch with my existing network?

Yes, you can use a switch to expand your existing network or to connect multiple devices within your network. However, make sure to consider compatibility and network speed when choosing a switch to ensure it is compatible with your current setup.

5. What features should I look for in a switch?

Some important features to consider when choosing a switch include the number of ports, network speed (e.g. 10/100/1000 Mbps), and whether it is managed or unmanaged. You may also want to consider features such as Power over Ethernet (PoE) or Quality of Service (QoS) if they are necessary for your network setup.