Solving Spin-Orbit Coupling in Hydrogen & Li+2

In summary: Yes, the electric charge has an impact on the reduced mass of an electron. In this equation, the electric charge of the nucleus has an impact on the reduced mass of the electron.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

One of the n=5 states of hydrogen is split by spin-orbit coupling into two levels with an energy difference of 0.0039 cm^-1 . Determine the 'l' quantum number for this state and predict the analogous splitting for doubly ionised Li .

Homework Equations

The fine structure constant is 0.007 297 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I did the first part and I got l=3 basically I use the spin orbit coupling energy equation and set j= l + 1/2 and j= l-1/2 find the difference between both of them and then work out the value of 'l' knowing that the wave number is 0.0039.

What I don't understand is the second part. Do I use n=5 and l=3 and do the same thing?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, except this time you're talking about an electron in lithium instead of hydrogen.

vela said:
Yup, except this time you're talking about an electron in lithium instead of hydrogen.

So I first need to find the reduced electron mass of doubly ionized lithium. Then using this I can find the Rydberg constant for Lithium, and then I can actually get the difference in wave number?

I got a value of 0.3133 cm^-1 ..which seemed much bigger than that for Hydrogen.

Did you take into account the different charge of the nucleus?

vela said:
Did you take into account the different charge of the nucleus?

Yes, I took this into account when calculating the reduced electron mass of Lithium and also when calculating the difference in wave number afterwards. Is this value remotely incorrect?

I don't understand what you mean by that. The charge of the nucleus doesn't have anything to do with calculating the reduced mass of the electron. Are you referring to the mass of the nucleus? I'm talking about the electric charge.

Oh ok! I think I know where I've gone wrong. When calculating the reduced electron mass I used:

5(m_e).7(m_n)/[5(m_e) + 7(m_n)]

But I don't think this is so..

1. What is spin-orbit coupling and why is it important in hydrogen and Li+2?

Spin-orbit coupling is the interaction between an atom's electron spin and its orbital motion. In hydrogen and Li+2, this interaction is particularly significant because these atoms have a single electron in their outermost orbital, making the spin-orbit coupling effect more pronounced.

2. How does spin-orbit coupling affect the energy levels of hydrogen and Li+2?

Spin-orbit coupling leads to a splitting of energy levels in hydrogen and Li+2, with the energy levels of states with different spin orientations being different. This is known as fine structure splitting.

3. What methods are used to solve spin-orbit coupling in hydrogen and Li+2?

There are several methods that can be used to solve spin-orbit coupling in these atoms. These include the variational method, perturbation theory, and the matrix diagonalization method.

4. How does the spin-orbit coupling strength vary with atomic number?

The strength of spin-orbit coupling increases with increasing atomic number. This is because as the number of protons in the nucleus increases, there is a greater interaction between the electron spin and the magnetic field produced by the nucleus.

5. What applications does understanding spin-orbit coupling have?

Understanding spin-orbit coupling is crucial for accurately predicting and interpreting the spectra of atoms and molecules. It also has applications in fields such as quantum computing, where spin-orbit coupling can be used to manipulate and control quantum states.