Calculating time from velocity and acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating the maximum acceleration of a car based on its power, resistive forces, and velocity. The approach involves calculating power loss, net power, velocity, net force, and acceleration at a particular RPM. However, there is a potential issue with using power at 0 RPM, and it may be more accurate to use the torque curve.
robinfisichel
Simple? You would think so , see if you agree with my approach...

I have a car, I know its power at certain Rpm's and I know the magnitude of resitive forces.

So
1. I calculate the power loss due to resitive forces
2. I calculate the net power by subtracting this from motive power.
3. I calculate the velocity from the Rpm of the motor, through gearing down to wheel speed and then tangental velocity.
4. I calculate the net force by dividing by velocity.
5. Dividing by the mass gives me the max acceleration at a particular rpm.

Now i want to calculate how quickly i can accelerate from 0-30 m/s (for example) so using a=dv/dt and rearranging for dt = dv/a i should be able to calculate how long it takes to accelerate from a certain speed at a certain acceleration.

Would people agree with this approach

One problem with this is for this motor, and most other motors, the power at 0 rpm is zero, so i should probably use the torque curve rather than the power??

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the power and the rpm, then you know the torque of the engine (power = torque X rpm).

No engine goes to 0 rpm. You have to start at some base rpm, where slipping will occur (at the tires or at the clutch). If you assume the tires slip, you can use the lower "sliding" coefficient of friction until the speed of the engine corresponds with the one of the wheel.

1. How do you calculate time from velocity and acceleration?

To calculate time from velocity and acceleration, you can use the formula t = v/a, where t is time, v is velocity, and a is acceleration. This formula assumes that the object is starting from rest.

2. Can you calculate time if the object is not starting from rest?

Yes, you can still calculate time if the object is not starting from rest. You will need to use the formula t = (v-u)/a, where u is the initial velocity and v is the final velocity.

3. How do you handle negative acceleration when calculating time?

If the acceleration is negative, it means the object is slowing down. In this case, you will need to use the formula t = v/a, but you will need to use the absolute value of the acceleration.

4. Can you calculate time if the acceleration is changing?

Yes, you can still calculate time if the acceleration is changing. However, you will need to use calculus to find the time. You can use the formula t = ∫(v/a)dt, where ∫ represents the integral, v is velocity, and a is acceleration.

5. Is calculating time from velocity and acceleration only applicable to linear motion?

No, calculating time from velocity and acceleration can also be applied to circular motion. In this case, you will need to use the formula t = 2πr/v, where r is the radius and v is the tangential velocity.