Calculate the redshift of a galaxy that is 650 Mpc away

In summary, the redshift of a galaxy that is 650 Mpc away can be calculated using the equations for Hubble's law and redshift. By inputting the distance into the equation v=H_0 d, and solving for v using the known value of Hubble's constant (H_0), the corresponding redshift can be calculated. This method only takes into account the expansion of the universe and not the individual movement of galaxies. An online calculator, such as the Wright calculator, can also be used to estimate the redshift based on the distance.
renmoresnow
How do I calculate the redshift of a galaxy that is 650 Mpc away if I am only told its spectral lines should show a redshift z=.15?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

If its spectral lines show a redshift of 0.15 then... that is the redshift?

Of course...you are right...what I should have asked was:
Is it true that a galaxy 650 Mpc's away has a redshift of z=.15.
If it is true, how do you know?

This is not a homework question... I am a mature student studying Astronomy for the first time. This is a question in an assignment and an explanation of the correct answer might help me to better understand the relationship between distance and redshift and how this is expressed in maths.

renmoresnow said:
This is not a homework question...

renmoresnow said:
This is a question in an assignment

Huh?

Vanadium 50 said:
Huh?

Awww, beat me to it! :rofl:

I'm officially 'wary' now.

Nothing to be weary off... I am interested in Astronomy and it is the basic stuff which I am finding difficult.. A friend suggested I try posting questions on this site.
Sorry if that offends...
Anyway, any suggestions you have to the question would be much appreciated.

encourage mature students who go back for more astronomy

renmoresnow said:
Of course...you are right...what I should have asked was:
Is it true that a galaxy 650 Mpc's away has a redshift of z=.15.
If it is true, how do you know?

renmoresnow said:
This is not a homework question... I am a mature student studying Astronomy for the first time. This is a question in an assignment ...

I think I understand your situation, maybe. Sometimes in a textbook they have examples and exercises to THINK ABOUT, but you don't have to hand in your answer for a grade.

Then someone here could help you understand the concepts and think about the example.

But if this is something where you hand in the answer for a grade then you should take it to "homework help" section. It doesn't belong here. That is the rule so that we don't do anything that would give you unfair advantage or short-circuit the teacher's strategy for making sure the students learn.

I'm going to take on faith what you say and tell you my reaction to the exercise. This may actually confuse you and not help! This is just my personal reaction.

z is something you measure, using the distant object's light collected by the telescope. You make a rainbow of the light and look at the bands of color and measure how much they are shifted, compared with light from nearby stars.

distance is something that is very difficult to measure and normally has to be estimated from the redshift based on additional assumptions

If somebody tells me the redshift of some galaxy is z = 0.3, and I want a standard estimate of the distance, based on the usual assumptions, then here's what I do:

I google "wright calculator", and this comes up.
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html
and over on the left where it says "z" there is a box,
so I type 0.3 into that box
and I click where it says "general", and presto
over on the right where it says "comoving radial distance" it will say 1185.4 Mpc.

Now this is only a very partial lazy-man's response to your question. But other people may be more helpful, or you might pursue this with further questions stemming from your intellectual curiosity. I'm assuming this is not homework, you aren't trying to make some professor happy. I don't know if just googling "wright calculator" and using it would ever get anybody a good grade on homework. But it is a practical lazyman way to see if the numbers make sense.

Wright's online calculator embodies the standard model of the cosmos that pretty much everybody uses. With possibly some slight modifications in the basics parameters that you see on the left hand side. He puts in 71 for "hubble parameter" and some other people might put in 72 instead but it doesn't make a heck lot difference.

And you can type in .15 for z if you want. I happened to type in .3 instead.

Also round off the distance numbers because they are just estimates. Instead of saying 1185.4 it is more cool to say "about 1200". It shows you are a human being instead of a calculator, and have a sense of what is appropriate. Good luck

Last edited:

Do you know Hubble's law?

[tex]v=H_0 d[/tex]

From this and the equation for redshift (non-relativistic should be sufficient), you can get what the redshift should be for an object 650Mpc away.

This law only takes into account expansion, and not particular movement of galaxies (which for large d become small in comparison). It is also quite rough...

Your replies are very helpful...I can attempt the question now...Thank you

What is redshift?

Redshift is the phenomenon where light from a distant object appears to be shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This is due to the expansion of the universe, causing the wavelengths of light to stretch as they travel through space.

How is redshift calculated?

Redshift is calculated by measuring the difference between the observed wavelength of light from a distant object and the expected, or rest, wavelength of that light. This difference is then divided by the rest wavelength to determine the redshift value.

What is a megaparsec (Mpc)?

A megaparsec is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to measure large distances, particularly in the study of cosmology. One megaparsec is equal to 3.26 million light years.

Why is it important to calculate the redshift of a galaxy?

Calculating the redshift of a galaxy allows us to determine its distance from Earth and how fast it is moving away from us. This information can help us understand the expansion rate of the universe and the overall structure and composition of the universe.

How is the redshift of a galaxy related to its distance?

The further away a galaxy is, the higher its redshift value will be. This is because the expansion of the universe causes more distant objects to appear to be moving away from us at a faster rate, resulting in a higher redshift value.