Finding Axial Forces in a Truss: A Guide to Solving for BC, BD, and BE

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the axial forces in members BC, BD, and BE of a truss structure in an airplane. The suggested approach is to first determine the support reactions and identify any zero force members, then use either the method of joints or sections to solve for the member forces. It is suggested to divide the truss down the middle of CE and BD, and to consider the x force at B as the same as the force of BD.
Isimanica

Homework Statement

1154516.jpg

The truss shown is part of an
airplane’s internal structure.
Determine the axial forces in
members BC, BD, and BE.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I am trying to figure out how or where to divide this truss up and forces to draw when I do. I don't know where to cut to get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
First determine the support reactions. Then identify zero force members. Then use method of joints or sections to solve for the member forces.

So I should divide right down the middle of CE and BD correct?
And that the the two forces reacting at B the x force is also the force of BD, that they are one and the same.

Isimanica said:
So I should divide right down the middle of CE and BD correct?
And that the the two forces reacting at B the x force is also the force of BD, that they are one and the same.
You should first determine the force reactions and zero force members before cutting sections. Then, if you prefer the method of sections over the method of joints, you can do the cut as you described and sum moments about appropriate points in the appropriate free body diagram, to solve for the unknown forces in members BE and BD.

I would suggest starting by identifying the supports and the external forces acting on the truss. This will help determine the reactions at the supports and allow for the application of equilibrium equations to solve for the axial forces in the members. Additionally, it may be helpful to label the members and joints to keep track of which equations apply to each one. Once the external forces and reactions are determined, you can use the method of joints or method of sections to solve for the axial forces in the members BC, BD, and BE. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram of the entire truss to visualize the forces acting on it. Remember to always check for equilibrium and consider any assumptions made in the analysis. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework composed of straight bars connected at their ends by joints. It is commonly used in construction to support roofs, bridges, and other structures.

2. What is the purpose of finding axial forces in a truss?

The purpose of finding axial forces in a truss is to determine the internal forces and stresses acting on the members of the truss. This information is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the truss.

3. How do you calculate axial forces in a truss?

Axial forces in a truss can be calculated using the method of joints or the method of sections. The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint in the truss, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss into sections and analyzing the forces acting on each section.

4. What factors affect the axial forces in a truss?

The axial forces in a truss are affected by the loads applied to the truss, the geometry of the truss, and the properties of the truss members such as their material and cross-sectional area.

5. How are axial forces in a truss used in structural design?

Axial forces in a truss are used in structural design to determine the required size and strength of the truss members. They also help engineers identify potential weak points in the truss and make necessary adjustments to ensure its structural stability.