What people think of Civil, strucuture engineers and architects ?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter a_man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Civil
In summary, the conversation discusses the views of civil engineering, structure engineering, and architecture jobs in North America society. These jobs are generally respected, with civil and structure engineers being highly regarded. However, there are some negative perceptions, such as civil engineering being seen as a dangerous job and architecture having a low employment rate. The conversation also mentions the importance of creativity and innovation in these fields and how it can vary depending on the job and location.
a_man
I am a 2nd year civil engineer student in Canada, and I was planning to earn master degrees of architecture.

I had an internship in Asia (to be specific, Korea), and people here had a horrible view of Civil, structure engineering and architure for following reasons

Civil - dangerous job that works at on-site, lack of innovation, too many people, but not many expert. Designing is fun but not so great pay.

Structure- boring, limitation of promotion (highest position was team manager), the main job is to review blueprints and doing calculation.

Architects -Low employment rate. (I also heard that they receives lower payment than civil engineers)

People always ask me if these ppl are well respected in a North America society because general view of the jobs are not so respecful since they work with people from construction guys (like crane operators).

How do these jobs viewed in North America society ? ( Not as much respect as electrical or computer engineers ?)

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends where you work and what the conditions are. I never worked on-site (which has its bad sides, too), so I couldn't call my job "dangerous" at all. Here in our country, the starting payments are nothing special (let's say they're just a bit above the average salary here), and they usually rise with time, but again, it all depends on where you work.

Lack of innovation...Hmm. Depends, again. If you're very busy and have a lot of work to do, you definitely don't have much time to be "innovative". But in general, every engineering branch requires a creative way of thiking and solving problems. So you can't say that it's not innovative.

In general, I couldn't say (at least not for my country) that these are not respected jobs. Actually, people use to say "wow" when you say you're a civil engineer here. It's a respected faculty and profession.

you did not tell me where you are from ?

Croatia.

Architects... I'm not terribly familiar with architecture, but there is a much wider range. Someone has to design skyscrapers, colleges, museums, etc.

As for flavors of engineering, check http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm and http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/fall09a.pdf.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people seem to link Architecture and Engineering. However, these are two very different fields to study. Remember that Architecture is about art. I know many students who thought they wanted to study architecture but after a year or two switched to engineering because architecture was not at all what they thought. Just something to check out or keep in mind before you make any long term plans.

Civil and structural engineers are highly regarded in North America. Architects are too, but not as much.

I may be biased though; my dad is a CE and I work with a lot of structural engineers.

lisab said:
Civil and structural engineers are highly regarded in North America. Architects are too, but not as much.

I may be biased though; my dad is a CE and I work with a lot of structural engineers.

oh yeah, which company does ur dad work at, and what is his position (what does he do at work?)

a_man said:
oh yeah, which company does ur dad work at, and what is his position (what does he do at work?)

He's retired now, but he used to work for Lockheed as a young man, and then the Army Corps of Engineers, then for the State of Alaska. Not sure of his position but when he retired, he was in charge of building medical clinics in rural Alaskan Native villages.

Hello there fellow Civil Engineers.

I graduated with a Diplom-Ingenieur in Civil Engineering in November 2007. I worked from October to December 2007 as an Assistant Engineer (Intern) to a 3 resident engineers of 3 building construction projects. It was an interesting experience, my work required me to be at the construction site and inspect the work of different contractors. Also, there was some creativity required as sometimes details of the building do not follow precisely the blueprints. Later, in Jan 2008, I worked in an Asphalt Plant as a Quality Control Engineer. I performed tests (e.g. CBR, Proctor, Marshall Test) and took samples from hot mix asphalt material and its constituents materials before mixing. My work ensured high quality in pavement used in highways, arterials, and other road classes.

Most of my work so far has been in field, but at the moment I am currently doing postgraduate studies, hopefully I'll be able to move to more sophisticated mathematical work. In general, I believe you should never limit yourself by the title of your degree...

Good luck!

1. What is the difference between civil engineers, structural engineers, and architects?

Civil engineers are responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of large-scale infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Structural engineers specialize in the design and analysis of structures, such as buildings and bridges, to ensure they can withstand the forces they will be subjected to. Architects focus on the aesthetic and functional design of buildings and spaces.

2. Do civil engineers, structural engineers, and architects work together on projects?

Yes, these professionals often work together on projects to ensure that all aspects of the design, construction, and maintenance are addressed. They each have different areas of expertise and collaborate to create safe, functional, and visually appealing structures.

3. What are some common misconceptions about civil, structural engineers, and architects?

One common misconception is that architects only focus on the appearance of buildings and do not have to consider structural integrity. In reality, architects must have knowledge of structural principles in order to create safe and functional designs. Another misconception is that civil engineers and structural engineers perform the same role, when in fact they have different areas of expertise.

4. How do civil, structural engineers, and architects impact our daily lives?

These professionals play a crucial role in shaping our built environment. Civil engineers design and maintain infrastructure that we rely on every day, such as roads and water systems. Structural engineers ensure that buildings and bridges are safe and sound. Architects design the spaces in which we live, work, and play.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in civil engineering, structural engineering, or architecture?

Some common skills for these professions include strong math and science knowledge, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. Additionally, a passion for design and the ability to work collaboratively with others are important for success in these fields.