Is a PhD in Physics a Good Path to Becoming a Quant?

• Thread starter Frzn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation discusses the job prospects for someone with a PhD in physics, with a focus on the finance industry. It is mentioned that while finding a job in finance may not be difficult for someone with a physics PhD, the job market for traditional "quants" may be shrinking due to changes in the industry. However, there will always be a need for individuals with strong quantitative skills, and the ever-changing nature of finance means that job duties can vary greatly. The issue of anonymity in the finance industry is also addressed.
Frzn
How "sure" a job is quant?

So I would like to do a PhD in physics when I am done my undergrad, this is something that I personally want to accomplish because I really love the field and want to satisfy my own curiosity. But of course I want to learn more about my future AFTER the degree as well. My top 2 choices would be a tenure track position or a becoming a quant. I would have to be extremely lucky to get a tenure track position, but how big is the job market for PhD quants? If I have a PhD in physics, do I have a good chance of being hired? Or is it difficult to find a job in the field?

thanks for any info you can share

Physics news on Phys.org

Frzn said:
If I have a PhD in physics, do I have a good chance of being hired? Or is it difficult to find a job in the field?

No physics Ph.D. that I know of that has looked for work in finance has been unable to get a reasonably paying job. I know of a few that are dissatisfied because what they ended up doing is more "computer babysitting" than "heavy math crunching", but that's a different issue.

As far as the future goes, the world is going to change and finance is also going to change, but barring some major economic catastrophe (which is possible), it's hard for me to imagine that physics Ph.D. skills won't be useful somewhere. One reason that finance is interesting is not that finance can't blow up (it can), but if finance blows up, everything else also blows up too.

The thing about "quants" is that my feeling is that "quant" is something of an obsolete job title in finance. When I think of a "quant" I think of someone in the late 1990's that uses a hammer and chisel to create a pricing model or complex derivative. Today, derivatives are an industrial business, and so you just can't "hand craft" them, and so they get produced by the truckload, by teams of hundreds of people all running power tools on assembly lines. All of the regulatory changes that are being proposed will push this "industrialization" even further than it is now.

The financial industry has changed and will continue to change so that "quants" are more and more obsolete, but that's not a bad thing because physics Ph.D.'s are sought after for the new jobs, whatever those jobs happen to be. Even if Wall Street gets smashed, there will be the need to do something somewhere with numbers.

One thing that makes finance a tough business to explain is that you get a surprisingly vague and non useful answer to "so what is it that you do?". Ultimately the answer is "whatever I need to do to ethically and legally make money for myself and the firm."

This means that what I'm doing right now is different than what I was doing three months ago, and what I'll be doing three months from now will be different than what I am doing now, and I'm not exactly sure what it is that I'll be doing three months from now. I have a project plan for the next year, but whether the plan will resemble at all what actually happens is going to be interesting to see.

The other problem is an issue of anonymity. If I were to tell you that I'm a waiter at Starbucks and did what all of the other waiters at Starbucks did, you couldn't figure out who I am. On the other hand, financial jobs tend to be very individualized.

If I told you what problem I'm working on, and what I did yesterday, it would be very easy to figure out who I am, since there isn't anyone else in the world that is doing exactly what I'm doing.

Excellent post thank you so much for typing that up!

I cannot provide a definitive answer as job markets and opportunities can vary greatly depending on location, industry, and individual qualifications. However, I can provide some insights and considerations for pursuing a PhD in physics as a path to becoming a quant.

Firstly, a PhD in physics can provide a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, which are essential for quantitative finance roles. Additionally, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills developed during a PhD can be highly valuable in the fast-paced and complex world of quantitative finance.

However, it is important to note that while a PhD in physics can be beneficial, it is not a direct path to becoming a quant. Quantitative finance roles often require a combination of skills and knowledge in finance, mathematics, and computer science. Therefore, it may be necessary to gain additional experience and knowledge in these areas to increase your chances of being hired as a quant.

In terms of job market and job security, the demand for quants can vary depending on the industry and economic conditions. While there may be a high demand for quants in certain industries, it is also a highly competitive field with a limited number of positions. Therefore, it is important to not rely solely on a PhD in physics to secure a job as a quant, but to also gain relevant experience and skills in finance and other related fields.

Overall, pursuing a PhD in physics can provide a strong foundation for a career in quantitative finance, but it is important to also gain a diverse set of skills and experience to increase your chances of being hired as a quant. It is also important to research the job market and industry trends to determine the demand and job security for quants in your desired location and industry.

1. How secure is a job in the field of quant?

The job security in the field of quant varies depending on various factors such as industry, company, and individual performance. However, overall, the demand for quant professionals is expected to remain strong in the foreseeable future.

2. Are quant jobs affected by economic downturns?

Like any other job, quant jobs can also be affected by economic downturns. However, the impact may vary depending on the specific industry and company. In general, quant jobs tend to be less affected by economic downturns compared to other professions.

3. What qualifications are required for a career in quant?

Typically, a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science is necessary for a career in quant. A degree in a related field such as finance or economics can also be beneficial. Additionally, many employers may also require a master's degree or higher for certain positions.

4. Is previous work experience necessary for a job in quant?

While previous work experience can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for a job in quant. Many employers also consider academic achievements and strong analytical skills when hiring for quant positions.

5. What is the earning potential in the field of quant?

The earning potential in quant can vary depending on factors such as job position, industry, and location. However, in general, quant professionals have the potential to earn high salaries due to their specialized skills and demand in the job market.