HEEEEEELLP MEEE (astrophysicist)

In summary, Gabe, a 16-year-old interested in astrophysics, is seeking advice on what to study in college and the availability of a job in the field. ZapperZ suggests reading the stickied post "So, you want to be a physicist?" in the academic guidance section, which includes a link to a helpful thread and a Google Doc with extensive information on pursuing a career in physics. ZapperZ also suggests publishing the information as a book.
gkc2294
Hi. My name is Gabe and I am 16. I have always been interested in astrophysics. I was probably born with a copy of Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time in my hand. Now with me about to go into the "real world" I need some advice on what to study in college and the availibility of a job.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read ZapperZ's stickied post "So, you want to be a physicist?" in the academic guidance section. That's probably the best place to start.

And for the lazy and efficient among us,
here is the thread and the http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df5w5j9q_5gj6wmt.

(I must admit I'd never seen it before, but it looks impressive... did you consider publishing it as a book?)

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical properties and processes of celestial objects and the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to study the behavior of stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

2. How does astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Astrophysics helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics and how they apply to the vastness of space. It allows us to study the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as the properties and behavior of celestial objects.

3. What skills are needed to become an astrophysicist?

To become an astrophysicist, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also essential, as well as a curiosity and passion for the mysteries of the universe.

4. What kinds of research do astrophysicists conduct?

Astrophysicists conduct a wide range of research, from studying the properties of individual stars to analyzing data from telescopes and spacecraft to understand the origins and evolution of the universe. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to study complex phenomena in space.

5. How is astrophysics related to other sciences?

Astrophysics is closely related to other sciences, such as physics, chemistry, and geology. It also has connections to engineering, as many tools and technologies used in astrophysics research are developed by engineers. Additionally, astrophysics has implications for our understanding of the origin and evolution of life on Earth, making it relevant to the field of biology as well.