What Is the Emission Wavelength of a 10nm GaAs Quantum Well Laser?

• Thread starter Cheetox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lasers
In summary, a heterojunction laser is a semiconductor laser that uses a junction between two different materials to amplify light. It works by applying a voltage to the junction, which creates a laser beam. Heterojunction lasers have advantages such as lower threshold currents, higher output powers, and wider wavelength options, making them useful in various applications such as telecommunications, medical equipment, and military technology. In the future, there is ongoing research on improving the efficiency and output power of heterojunction lasers and exploring new applications in fields like quantum computing and biotechnology.
Cheetox

Homework Statement

Assuming and infinitely deep potential well, estimate the emission wavelength of a 10nm GaAs quantum well laser. The electron density at the normal operating point of the laser is 1016m-2: what is the electron quasi-Fermi level (chemical potential) and how many levels are occupied? (The effective masses are me* = 0.07me, mh* =0.35me)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to start this one, I assume i'll need to use the quantised energy levels of a 2-d infinite potential well...will it be something to do with the difference in band gap energies between Ga and As? If anyone could link me some good internet resources on heterojunction lasers that would also be much appreciated as I have struggled to find any...cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for your question. To estimate the emission wavelength of a 10nm GaAs quantum well laser, we need to first understand the energy levels and band structure of the material. GaAs is a semiconductor material with a band gap energy of approximately 1.4 eV. In a quantum well structure, the electrons and holes are confined in a narrow region, creating discrete energy levels.

In an infinitely deep potential well, the energy levels are given by:

E_n = (n^2 * h^2)/(8mL^2)

Where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the effective mass of the electron or hole, and L is the width of the quantum well. For GaAs, the effective masses are me* = 0.07me and mh* = 0.35me.

To find the emission wavelength, we need to consider the energy difference between the highest occupied level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied level (conduction band). This energy difference, also known as the band gap, determines the energy and therefore the wavelength of the emitted light.

The electron quasi-Fermi level, or chemical potential, is the energy level at which electrons are thermally excited to occupy higher levels. In a normal operating point of the laser, the electron density is 1016m-2. This corresponds to a Fermi level of approximately 0.1 eV above the conduction band minimum.

To determine the number of levels occupied, we can use the Fermi-Dirac distribution function, which gives the probability of a state being occupied at a given energy level. The number of occupied levels can be calculated by integrating this function from the conduction band minimum to the Fermi level.

As for resources on heterojunction lasers, I would recommend looking into textbooks on semiconductor physics or optoelectronics. You can also find some helpful information on reputable scientific websites such as IEEE or SPIE.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.
Scientist

1. What is a heterojunction laser?

A heterojunction laser is a type of semiconductor laser that uses a heterojunction, which is a junction between two different materials, to confine and amplify light. This results in a more efficient and powerful laser compared to traditional homojunction lasers.

2. How does a heterojunction laser work?

In a heterojunction laser, the two materials with different bandgaps are joined together to form a junction. When a voltage is applied to the junction, electrons and holes are injected into the material with the smaller bandgap. As they recombine, light is emitted and amplified through the heterojunction, creating a laser beam.

3. What are the advantages of using heterojunction lasers?

Heterojunction lasers have several advantages over traditional homojunction lasers. They have lower threshold currents, higher output powers, and better temperature performance. They also have a wider range of wavelength options and can operate at higher frequencies.

4. What are the applications of heterojunction lasers?

Heterojunction lasers have a wide range of applications, including in telecommunications, optical data storage, laser printers, and medical equipment. They are also used in military and aerospace technology, such as in laser guidance systems and target designators.

5. What are the potential future developments in heterojunction laser technology?

Scientists and engineers are constantly working on improving heterojunction laser technology. Some potential developments include increasing the efficiency and output power of the lasers, developing new materials with better properties, and improving the fabrication process to reduce costs. There is also ongoing research on using heterojunction lasers in new and emerging fields, such as quantum computing and biotechnology.