Environmental Engineering undergrad to Nuclear Engineering grad school.

In summary, to pursue a nuclear engineering degree, you would need to take basic courses in mechanical engineering, electives in nuclear physics and reactor physics, and a graduate level reactor dynamics course.
Broke186
How feasible would this be? I'll be an Environmental Engineering sophomore this coming semester and was wondering how a path to Nuclear Engineering for graduate school would look like, if the path exists at all. I suppose that I could switch to Mechanical Engineering (having done most of the basic core like UP1 and 2, Cal 1, Chem1 and 2 already) since that may contain better prospects, but I really like Environmental Engineering so far. What are the prerequisites for applying to most nuclear engineering grad programs? Are there certain additional courses I can take to help meet some of these requirements(like modern physics and such?) or do most grad schools look for nuclear engineering undergraduates for consideration into their graduate programs? Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I was in the same boat as you about a year ago, I couldn't decide between environmental or nuclear engineering. I ended up going into chemical engineering because Its extremely versatile and I can see it being applicable in both fields.

If you can't get into a Nuke undergrad program, Mechanical or Chemical is probably your next best choice if you want to pursue nuclear engineering. It seems to me that most schools have their environmental program rooted in the civil engineering department. At my school, its part of the chemical department, if that's the case for you, then you'll probably be fine.

Yeah, it's rooted in the Civil Engineering department.

Broke186 said:
How feasible would this be? I'll be an Environmental Engineering sophomore this coming semester and was wondering how a path to Nuclear Engineering for graduate school would look like, if the path exists at all. I suppose that I could switch to Mechanical Engineering (having done most of the basic core like UP1 and 2, Cal 1, Chem1 and 2 already) since that may contain better prospects, but I really like Environmental Engineering so far. What are the prerequisites for applying to most nuclear engineering grad programs? Are there certain additional courses I can take to help meet some of these requirements(like modern physics and such?) or do most grad schools look for nuclear engineering undergraduates for consideration into their graduate programs? Thanks in advance for any help
Generally a graduate nuclear engineering program is a continuation of an undergrad nuclear engineering program. An engineering major coming from another scientific or engineering discipline would be expected to take some remedial courses to fill in the holes of knowledge.

In the nuclear engineering undergrad programs, there are basic core courses in mechanical engineering, e.g., thermodynamics, solid mechanics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics. One could also take electives in corrosion, power systems, turbomachinery, and material science/engineering.

Then there is the set of core nuclear engineering courses, normally introductory nuclear physics, reactor physics, radiation physics (e.g., shielding and radiation effects on materials), and usually a power plant design course. There are also numerous electives, e.g., nuclear plant safey, fuel cycle economics, fusion engineering, . . . .

Some people may take a course in environmental aspects of nuclear energy, or radiation protection.

In my undergrad program, our curriculum had a requirement for EE - including circuit analysis (basic EE course), and electromechanics (transformers, generators and motors). I also took an elective in control theory (in EE). There was also a control theory course offered in the Aerospace Engineering department.

In a graduate engineering course, one would be expected to take a more advanced course in reactor physics, which would include more advanced level of reactor dynamics. The prerequiste is an undergraduate course in reactor physics.

For anyone going into nuclear engineering, or aerospace or mechanical, I'd recommend picking up a skill set including CAD/CAE, FEA (finite element analysis), and CFD (computationall fluid dynamics). Usually one gets CAD experience in an undergrad program.

I would say that it is definitely feasible for an Environmental Engineering undergraduate to pursue a graduate degree in Nuclear Engineering. While it may require some additional coursework and preparation, it is certainly possible to make the transition.

The first step would be to research the specific requirements and prerequisites for graduate programs in Nuclear Engineering. These may vary slightly between different schools, but most programs will likely require courses in advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering. It would be beneficial to take courses in these subjects during your undergraduate studies, if possible.

In addition, taking courses in modern physics and other related subjects would also be helpful in preparing for a graduate program in Nuclear Engineering. Many programs will also look for research experience and/or internships in related fields, so gaining practical experience in an environmental or nuclear engineering setting would also be beneficial.

It is not necessary to switch to a different major, such as Mechanical Engineering, in order to pursue a graduate degree in Nuclear Engineering. However, if you are interested in exploring other engineering disciplines, it may be worth considering as it could provide a broader foundation of knowledge and skills.

Ultimately, the key to a successful transition to a graduate program in Nuclear Engineering will be to carefully research and plan your coursework and experiences to align with the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in. Good luck!

What is the difference between environmental engineering and nuclear engineering?

Environmental engineering focuses on the design and implementation of technologies and processes to protect and improve the environment. Nuclear engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design, construction, and operation of nuclear power plants and other nuclear facilities.

Can I pursue a graduate degree in nuclear engineering with a background in environmental engineering?

Yes, it is possible to transition from environmental engineering to nuclear engineering for graduate studies. However, you may need to take additional courses to strengthen your background in nuclear engineering.

What skills are necessary to succeed in nuclear engineering graduate school?

Strong analytical and mathematical skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail are essential for success in nuclear engineering graduate school. Additionally, knowledge of physics, chemistry, and engineering principles is crucial.

Are there any specific research areas in nuclear engineering that align with environmental engineering?

Yes, there are several research areas in nuclear engineering that overlap with environmental engineering, including waste management, radiation protection, and environmental impact assessment of nuclear facilities.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with a background in environmental engineering and a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

Graduates with a background in environmental engineering and a graduate degree in nuclear engineering can pursue careers in nuclear power plant design and operation, nuclear waste management, environmental consulting, and government agencies involved in nuclear energy and environmental protection.