Matrices: Technical Questions

• Thread starter xenogizmo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis for the null space of a given matrix. The first column of the matrix is all zeroes, meaning that the first unknown can be anything and any vector that is a multiple of <1, 0, 0, 0> is in the null space. The remaining equations can be reduced to one equation in three unknowns, leading to two additional basis vectors for the null space. The null space is three-dimensional and has a basis of <1, 0, 0, 0>, <0, 2, 1, 0>, and <0, -1, 0, 1>. It is noted that the basis of the null space is not unique and
xenogizmo
Hey Guys,
I was solving some practice questions on linear algebra and I came across this one. I've solved many of its kind, but this one has a variation I'm not so sure about.. Here's the question:

Let A =
| 0 3 -6 3 |
| 0 -3 6 -3 |

Find a basis of nullspace (A). (a set of basic solutions for the homogeneous system)

(That's a matrix, sorry about not using latex, I'm kinda new here)

Now, I know how to do a normal question, by doing elementary row operations and then factoring the parameters.. But what do I do when the first column is all zeroes?? do I make the first basic solution a column of 4 zeroes? or what?
Your help would be greatly appreciated, thx..

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks you to find a basis for the null space of A. A itself, in this example, is from R4 to R2. If we represent a vector in R4 as < x, y, z, u> then your two equations are 0x+ 3y- 6z+ 3u= 0 and 0x- 3y+ 6z- 3u= 0.

The first column being 0 means that x disappears from the equations! Okay, that's easy- that just means that x can be anything and that any vector that is a multiple of <1, 0, 0, 0> is in the null space: one basis vector is <1, 0, 0, 0>.

The two equations are 3y- 6z+ 3u= 0 and -3y+ 6z- 3u= 0. It's easy to see that the second equation is just -1 times the first: you really don't have 2 independent equation. (Normally, you would try to "solve" the equations by eliminating unknowns until you don't have enough equations left. IF you had enough independent equations to completely solve for each unknown, the null space would be just {0}.)
Since you really have just the one equation in 3 unknowns, solve for one of them in terms of the other 2: 3y= 6z- 3u so y= 2z- u. Now, to be sure you get independent vectors, take one of the remaining unknowns to be 1 and the other 0:
If z= 1 and u= 0, then y= 2(1)- 0= 2. One basis vector for the null space is <0,2,1,0>.
If z= 0 and u= 1, then y= 2(0)- 1= -1. Another basis vector for the null space is <0,-1,0, 1>.

The null space of A is 3 dimensional and has basis <1, 0, 0, 0>, <0, 2, 1, 0> and
<0, -1, 0, 1>.

You understand, of course, that the basis of the null space is not unique: we could have solved for z or u instead of y as well as choosing numbers other than 0 and 1 to try and arrived at a different answer.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about matrices. I understand that you are having trouble finding a basis for the nullspace of the given matrix A. Let me try to explain the process to you.

To find a basis for the nullspace of a matrix, we need to solve the equation Ax = 0, where A is the given matrix and x is a vector of variables. In this case, A is a 2x4 matrix, so x will be a vector with 4 variables.

Now, when the first column of A is all zeroes, it means that the first variable in x does not affect the solution. So, when you perform elementary row operations, you will end up with an equation that looks like 0x1 + 3x2 - 6x3 + 3x4 = 0. We can ignore the first variable, x1, and only focus on the remaining three variables.

Next, you can solve for the remaining variables using elementary row operations and factoring the parameters. Once you have solved for x2, x3, and x4, you can set x1 to any value (since it does not affect the solution) and form a vector with the values of x2, x3, and x4. This vector will be your first basic solution.

You can repeat this process to find the other basic solutions, keeping in mind that the first variable will always be 0. Once you have a set of basic solutions, you can form a basis for the nullspace by taking the linear combinations of these basic solutions.

I hope this helps clarify the process for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification. Best of luck with your practice questions!

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions, arranged in rows and columns.

2. How are matrices used in science?

Matrices are used in science to represent and manipulate data and equations in linear algebra, statistics, and other fields of mathematics.

3. What are the different types of matrices?

The different types of matrices include square matrices, identity matrices, diagonal matrices, upper triangular matrices, lower triangular matrices, symmetric matrices, and skew-symmetric matrices.

4. How do you perform operations on matrices?

Matrix operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition and subtraction are performed by adding or subtracting corresponding elements of two matrices. Multiplication is performed by multiplying the elements of each row in one matrix by the corresponding elements of each column in the other matrix and adding the products. Division is not a standard operation for matrices.

5. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and to perform other operations on matrices.