Drawing the angular velocity graph from the acceleration vs. time graph?

In summary: In that case you might need to round up to 3.But if you can use calculus, then for t=0 to t=2, you can see that gradient of the ang. acc. vs. t graph is 2, meaning that the equation of that section is α=2t and since ω=∫α dt, then you can get how 'ω' will look for that range.
mymabelline
1. So this is one of my homework problems and I just can't seem to get it, and my attempts are verging on pathetic. I feel like this shouldn't be this hard, maybe I'm just missing something. This is the acceleration vs. time graph: http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1070314/6/04.EX33.jpg and the question it is asking is :The figure shows angular acceleration versus time. Draw the corresponding graph of angular velocity versus time. Assume omega _0 = 0
Please help, I never took physics in high school and right now physics is making my head feel like somebody hit me with a bat.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are not able to use calculus, then the fact that the area under the angular acceleration vs. time graph gives the angular velocity.

So if you find the area from t=0 to t=1, you will get the angular velocity at t=1. So just find the areas for different ranges and then plot the graph. Note how the slope of the angular acceleration graph changes at t=2.

rock.freak667 said:
If you are not able to use calculus, then the fact that the area under the angular acceleration vs. time graph gives the angular velocity.

So if you find the area from t=0 to t=1, you will get the angular velocity at t=1. So just find the areas for different ranges and then plot the graph. Note how the slope of the angular acceleration graph changes at t=2.

I tried doing that, but on the y axis, which is angular velocity I can only plot whole numbers, and finding the area under the curve from t=0-t=1 gives me an area of 2.5

mymabelline said:
I tried doing that, but on the y axis, which is angular velocity I can only plot whole numbers, and finding the area under the curve from t=0-t=1 gives me an area of 2.5

Why do you need to plot whole number for? Although the calculus approach would be much easier, are you allowed to use calculus to draw the graph?

rock.freak667 said:
Why do you need to plot whole number for? Although the calculus approach would be much easier, are you allowed to use calculus to draw the graph?

I am allowed to use calculus, what I was saying is that the velocity i find for t=1 is equal to 2.5 m/s and the online graph that they have given to me to plot my results only allows me to plot (1,2) or (1,3), not (1,2.5) like i need

mymabelline said:
I am allowed to use calculus, what I was saying is that the velocity i find for t=1 is equal to 2.5 m/s and the online graph that they have given to me to plot my results only allows me to plot (1,2) or (1,3), not (1,2.5) like i need

In that case you might need to round up to 3.

But if you can use calculus, then for t=0 to t=2, you can see that gradient of the ang. acc. vs. t graph is 2, meaning that the equation of that section is α=2t and since ω=∫α dt, then you can get how 'ω' will look for that range.

1. What is the process for drawing the angular velocity graph from the acceleration vs. time graph?

The process for drawing the angular velocity graph from the acceleration vs. time graph is as follows:

1. Plot the acceleration values on the y-axis and the time values on the x-axis.
  2. Find the slope of the acceleration graph at each point.
  3. Multiply the slope by the time interval between each point to find the change in angular velocity.
  4. Add the change in angular velocity to the previous value to get the total angular velocity at each point.
  5. Plot the total angular velocity values on the y-axis and the time values on the x-axis to create the angular velocity graph.

2. Can the angular velocity graph be drawn directly from the acceleration vs. time graph?

No, the angular velocity graph cannot be drawn directly from the acceleration vs. time graph. The process outlined in the previous question must be followed to calculate and plot the angular velocity values.

3. What is the relationship between the acceleration and angular velocity graphs?

The acceleration and angular velocity graphs are related in that the slope of the acceleration graph at each point represents the change in angular velocity at that point. The steeper the slope, the greater the change in angular velocity, and vice versa.

4. How do you interpret the shape of the angular velocity graph?

The shape of the angular velocity graph can provide information about the object's motion. A constant slope indicates constant angular velocity, while a changing slope indicates changing angular velocity. A flat line indicates no angular velocity, and a curved line indicates acceleration or deceleration of angular velocity.

5. What units are typically used for the angular velocity graph?

The units used for the angular velocity graph depend on the units used for acceleration and time in the original graph. Common units for angular velocity include radians per second (rad/s) and degrees per second (deg/s).