Designing a Hartnell Governor: Understanding the Use of Pins and Bosses

• Thread starter RKD89
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a Hartnell governor and the use of "bosses" in the design. The conversation also touches on the design of pin joints and the use of forked ends in the lever arm and fulcrum arm. The purpose of these design elements is not explicitly stated, but it appears they are meant to improve the functionality of the governor.
RKD89
I m designing a hartnell governor as a mini machine elements design project( don't as why)
While designing the pin joints for the levers at the point of pivot ( fulcrum point as shown in fig),I came across something known as 'boss'.
Is it the enlarged portion of the lever itself that comes in contact with the pin or something like a bush/bearing that comes in between the pin and the lever?

Secondly:
The lever arm will have a fork-ed end at the end where lever is attached to the roller on sleeve.
Should the fulcrum arm( attached to the body/casing ) be also forked at the fulcrum pin or should fulcrum arm at one end and lever arm at other end of fulcrum pin as shown in figure ??

PS: I know I haven't really named pins in the diagram, but guess u guys can Easily understand it

Attachments

• 30092010.jpg
    30092010.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In my experience, "boss" refers to a thickening of material around an attachment point. This is most evident in cast pieces wherein there is a bit of a "tower" where bolts are to be inserted.
I'm having a wee bit of trouble following your second question, but I''ll try to catch up on it later.

1. What is a "pins and boss" on a governor?

A "pins and boss" on a governor refer to the mechanical components that are used to connect the governor to the engine's throttle shaft. The pins are small metal rods that are inserted into the boss, which is a cylindrical piece of metal that is attached to the governor housing.

2. How does the pins and boss system work on a governor?

The pins and boss system works by transmitting the movement of the governor's flyweights to the throttle shaft of the engine. When the engine speed increases, the flyweights move outwards, causing the boss to rotate and open the throttle. Similarly, when the engine speed decreases, the flyweights move inwards, causing the boss to rotate and close the throttle.

3. What are the common materials used to make pins and boss on a governor?

The pins and boss on a governor are typically made of hardened steel or stainless steel. These materials are strong and durable, able to withstand the high speeds and pressures of the engine without wearing down easily.

4. Why is it important to regularly maintain the pins and boss on a governor?

Regular maintenance of the pins and boss on a governor is important to ensure the proper functioning of the engine. Over time, the pins and boss can become worn or damaged, which can affect the accuracy and responsiveness of the governor. Regular maintenance can prevent these issues and prolong the lifespan of the governor.

5. Can the pins and boss on a governor be replaced if they become damaged?

Yes, the pins and boss on a governor can be replaced if they become damaged. It is important to use high-quality replacement parts and follow proper installation procedures to ensure the optimal performance of the governor. Consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek professional assistance for replacing the pins and boss on a governor.