Understanding Convolution Sum: Solving a Signal Equation

In summary, the conversation is about a signal x[n] and its given values at different points. The question is whether the values given are true or false. The speaker believes it is false because plugging in the values gives three different values for u. However, another person states that all the values are true and suggests drawing a graph to show this. The original speaker asks if their graph is correct.
Angello90
Hi there,

This is a different question I tried.

The signal is given as x[n] = 2u[n+2] - 3u[n-2] +u[n-4], and it has values x[-2]=2, x[2]=-1 and x[4]=0. True or false?

I think it's false cause If I plug in all the x in each case ie, -2, 2 and 4, into the signal, than I get 3 different values for u.

For x[-2]; u = 1/3
For x[ 2]; u = -1/6
For x[ 4]; u = 0

Is that correct way to do this question?
Help guys!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not homework!

Angello90 said:
This is not homework!

The Homework Help forums are the right place for this type of question, since it is schoolwork. Please see this thread for a discussion about the PF Rules on schoolwork:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=373889

you have to draw x(n) first. Then apply what they gave you. All are true

Ok so today I did something called Convolution Sum, and my lecture showed me how to draw graphs with u[n], and for the question above I was able to come up with a graph.

Is this correct?

attachment.php?attachmentid=29447&d=1288203219.jpg

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 371

1. What is a signal in the context of signals and systems?

A signal is a physical or mathematical representation of a quantity that varies with time, space, or some other independent variable. In the context of signals and systems, a signal is typically a function that conveys information about a physical phenomenon, such as sound, light, or electricity.

2. What is the difference between continuous-time and discrete-time signals?

Continuous-time signals are functions of time that are defined for all values of time, whereas discrete-time signals are only defined at specific time intervals. Continuous-time signals are typically represented by mathematical equations, while discrete-time signals are often represented by sequences of numbers.

3. How are signals and systems related?

Signals and systems are closely related because systems are used to process and manipulate signals. A system takes a signal as an input and produces an output signal. The output signal is a modified version of the input signal, which is often used to extract useful information from the input signal.

4. What are some common examples of systems?

Some common examples of systems include filters, amplifiers, and digital signal processors. Filters are used to remove unwanted components from a signal, amplifiers are used to increase the amplitude of a signal, and digital signal processors are used to process digital signals in various ways.

5. What are some applications of signals and systems?

Signals and systems have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as telecommunications, control systems, image and signal processing, and biomedical engineering. They are used to process and analyze signals to extract information, make decisions, and control various systems.