Cross Sectional Flow Area

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the Cross Sectional Flow Area of an air duct with dimensions of 65mm by 150mm and a length of 1.2m. The speaker's working is 65 x 150 = 9750mm2 and they are seeking clarification if it is correct. They also ask if it is possible to find the Cross Sectional Flow Area with just the length and width. They hope for assistance on this matter.
toofatcoolz
I was ask to find the Cross Sectional Flow Area of a air duct given this question : The air duct is a vertically mounted duct of 65mm by 150mm cross-section and approx. 1.2m long.

My working is like this: 65 x 150 = 9750mm2

I just wanted to clarify if my working is right.

Another question i would like to ask, to find Cross Sectional Flow Area, I thought u needed to know the length, width and height? Is it possible to find Cross Sectional Flow Area given just only the length and width?

Hope you guys can help me on it thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of "cross sectional flow area"?

1. What is cross sectional flow area?

Cross sectional flow area is the measure of the total area available for fluid to flow through a given cross section of a pipe or channel. It is typically measured in square meters or square feet.

2. How is cross sectional flow area calculated?

Cross sectional flow area can be calculated by measuring the width and height of the cross section and multiplying them together. For irregular shapes, more complex mathematical calculations may be necessary.

3. Why is cross sectional flow area important?

Knowing the cross sectional flow area is important because it directly affects the flow rate of a fluid. A larger cross sectional flow area allows for greater flow rates, while a smaller area restricts flow.

4. How does fluid viscosity impact cross sectional flow area?

Fluid viscosity, or its resistance to flow, can impact the cross sectional flow area by affecting the flow rate through a given area. Thicker, more viscous fluids will require a larger cross sectional flow area to achieve the desired flow rate.

5. Can cross sectional flow area change?

Yes, cross sectional flow area can change depending on external factors such as pressure, temperature, and the material of the pipe or channel. It can also be intentionally changed by altering the shape or size of the cross section.