Find Length of Spiral Given by r(t) Equation

In summary, to find the length of the spiral given by r(t) = (e^-t cos t, e^-t sin t) where t is greater than or equal to 0, one can do a line integral by calculating the integral of sqrt(dx^2+dy^2) from t = 0 to infinity. Here, dx and dy are the derivatives of the i and j components of r(t) respectively.
Monsu
a spiral given by r(t) = (e^-t cos t, e^-t sin t) , t is greater than or equal to 0, how would i find the length of the spiral?
thanks anyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
do a line integral. length = S(dr) from t = 0 on out to infinity in this case. dr is sqrt(dx^2+dy^2) (assuming this is two and not three dimensions) where dx is the derivative of the i component of r(t) and dy is the derivative of the j component of r(t). Oh sorry S also means integral in my bastardized way of writing math with basic text.

Last edited by a moderator:

To find the length of the spiral given by the equation r(t) = (e^-t cos t, e^-t sin t), we can use the arc length formula for parametric curves. This formula is given by:

L = ∫√(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2) dt

Where x'(t) and y'(t) are the derivatives of the x and y components of the curve, respectively.

In this case, we have x(t) = e^-t cos t and y(t) = e^-t sin t. Taking the derivatives, we get:

x'(t) = -e^-t cos t - e^-t sin t
y'(t) = -e^-t sin t + e^-t cos t

Plugging these into the arc length formula, we get:

L = ∫√((-e^-t cos t - e^-t sin t)^2 + (-e^-t sin t + e^-t cos t)^2) dt

Simplifying and combining like terms, we get:

L = ∫√(2e^-2t) dt

Integrating, we get:

L = ∫√2 e^-t dt = -√2 e^-t + C

Evaluating this from t = 0 to t = ∞, we get:

L = -√2 e^-∞ + √2 e^0 = √2

Therefore, the length of the spiral is √2 units.

1. What is the equation for finding the length of a spiral given by r(t)?

The equation for finding the length of a spiral given by r(t) is L = ∫√[r(t)^2 + (dr/dt)^2] dt, where r(t) represents the radius of the spiral at time t and dr/dt represents the rate of change of the radius with respect to time.

2. How do I use the equation to find the length of a specific spiral?

To use the equation, you will need to know the function r(t) that represents the spiral. You can then plug in the function and integrate over the given interval of time to find the length of the spiral.

3. Can this equation be used for all types of spirals?

Yes, this equation can be used for all types of spirals as long as the function r(t) is known. This includes spirals with a constant or varying radius, as well as spirals with an increasing or decreasing rate of change of the radius.

4. Is there a simpler formula for finding the length of a spiral?

There are some specialized formulas for finding the length of specific types of spirals, such as the Archimedean spiral or logarithmic spiral. However, the general equation for finding the length of a spiral given by r(t) is the most commonly used and versatile formula.

5. Can computer software be used to calculate the length of a spiral?

Yes, there are many computer software programs that can integrate the given equation to find the length of a spiral. This can be helpful for more complex spirals where the integration may be difficult to do by hand.