The Role of EM Radiation in Cosmology Today

In summary, electromagnetic radiation played a significant role in the early universe during the radiation dominated era, but as the universe expanded, its importance decreased due to scaling as 1/a^4. It is still a small but essential component of the universe and is often overshadowed by theories involving dark matter and energy. However, it is worth considering the potential impact of electromagnetic interactions in understanding the puzzles of the universe.
giann_tee
Can you tell me the role of electromagnetic radiation in cosmology today?

1. how much energy is in the form of light?
2. what is the spectrum of the majority of galactic clusters?
3. does the EM radiation affect the expansion of the universe or the creation of structure?

Space news on Phys.org
giann_tee said:
Can you tell me the role of electromagnetic radiation in cosmology today?

1. how much energy is in the form of light?
2. what is the spectrum of the majority of galactic clusters?
3. does the EM radiation affect the expansion of the universe or the creation of structure?

Not sure about 2 off the top of my head but;

1. Approx 10^-5 %
3. No, but it did at much earlier epochs (assuming the standard model)

Interesting. I just finished watching the Horizon on BBC
http://www.youtube.com/user/turxxx
"Is Everything We Know About the Universe Wrong?".
I rarely watch cosmology these days. The show was pretty much:
inflation + dark matter + dark energy + dark flow. No Penrose hypothesis there yet. I find the show too strange since it did not step into the topic of interactions. The fundamental forces create structures at different scales. The scale of the early universe was small. That could reflect on the design of the inflation theory.

I hate to hypothesize here, but no importance is given to the EM radiation. There is so much invisible content(s) that is supposed to exist in the universe. Yet, the visible light represents the greatest portion of all EM radiation. When I eliminate the dark matter and energy from my thinking, I remain with EM light: that is to say, I imagine that the EM interaction could be essentially different in some way and explain one or another puzzle.

The problem is, at the current time EM radiation only makes up a tiny portion of the universe. It was important in the radiation dominated era (in the standard model) when the universe was small, but it scales as 1/a^4 so drops off very quickly in terms of significance, so in terms of the BB theory, yes it has been accounted for when the universe was small.

The energy density of radiation in the universe is simply too low to explain the mysteries such as dark matter and energy, along with a vast array of other reasons :)

Last edited:
Theinvoker said:
...It was important in the radiation dominated era (in the standard model) when the universe was small, but it scales as 1/a^4 so drops off very quickly in terms of significance, so in terms of the BB theory, yes it has been accounted for when the universe was small...

Good point about scaling as an inverse power of size of universe, or of the scale factor a.
because the number of photons per volume goes down as 1/a^3, and also the energy of each photon goes down as 1/a because its wavelength expands with the scalefactor a, and longer wavelength means less energy.

For what its worth here is an attempt to make an "inventory" of the mass-energy of the U. Some of the numbers look right to me and others seem ballpark OK but I don't know how precise or reliable. So I would not quote some of them as authoritative, but they give an idea.
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~kolena/matterinventory.html

EDIT: Theinv. I adjusted this post in accordance with your edit in the preceding. No need to perpetuate the typo. :)

Last edited:
marcus said:
The energy density of radiation actually scales as 1/a^4 (not as 1/a^3)

Well that was a schoolboy error! I guess that's the beauty of the internet though, I can still go into work tomorrow without having to hide under my desk until the embaressment passes lol.

I will edit my previous post just incase someone reads it but not the reply :)

marcus said:
Good point about scaling as an inverse power of size of universe, or of the scale factor a.
because the number of photons per volume goes down as 1/a^3, and also the energy of each photon goes down as 1/a because its wavelength expands with the scalefactor a, and longer wavelength means less energy.

Greetings. Are you talking about the change of wavelength towards red AS the universe is expanding or just the number of photons being "diluted" in the vastness of space?

These are quite interesting relationships. My idea was that the flux of radiation drops with the distance squared. The impact of light is too small then, at this point in history.

marcus said:
For what its worth here is an attempt to make an "inventory" of the mass-energy of the U. Some of the numbers look right to me and others seem ballpark OK but I don't know how precise or reliable. So I would not quote some of them as authoritative, but they give an idea.
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~kolena/matterinventory.html

Amazing chart. The dark matter is mostly located in the voids between something and the dark energy can be anywhere. :-)

I believe more in miniature black holes than in non-baryonic dark matter, although the bullet cluster argument was convincing indeed.

The black holes could be visible, but then again, if the light can bend around them they could be invisible precisely because of that.

giann_tee said:
Greetings. Are you talking about the change of wavelength towards red AS the universe is expanding or just the number of photons being "diluted" in the vastness of space?

It is both, that's why its 1/a^4. As the universe expands (or contracts if you are looking that scenario) it is affected by the 3 spatial dimensions and by wavelength change due to the constant speed of light :)

1. What is the significance of EM radiation in cosmology?

EM radiation, also known as electromagnetic radiation, plays a crucial role in cosmology. It is one of the key ways in which we observe and study the universe. It carries information about the composition, temperature, and motion of celestial objects, and helps us understand the evolution of the universe.

2. How does EM radiation help us understand the Big Bang theory?

EM radiation is one of the main pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory. The cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a type of EM radiation, is considered the remnant of the Big Bang and provides important clues about the early universe. By studying this radiation, scientists can learn about the expansion of the universe and the formation of structures within it.

3. What are the different types of EM radiation and how are they used in cosmology?

There are several types of EM radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type has a different wavelength and is used to study different aspects of the universe. For example, radio waves and microwaves are used to study the large-scale structure of the universe, while X-rays and gamma rays are used to observe high-energy phenomena, such as black holes and supernovae.

4. How do scientists measure and analyze EM radiation in cosmology?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to measure and analyze EM radiation in cosmology. These include telescopes, detectors, and spectroscopy. Telescopes collect and focus the radiation, detectors measure its intensity, and spectroscopy breaks down the radiation into its component wavelengths, allowing scientists to study the chemical composition and other properties of celestial objects.

5. What are some current research topics related to the role of EM radiation in cosmology?

There are many ongoing research topics related to EM radiation in cosmology. Some current areas of study include the search for dark matter using EM radiation, the study of gravitational lensing (the bending of light by massive objects), and the use of EM radiation to study the expansion rate of the universe and the nature of dark energy. Scientists are also using advanced technologies to improve our understanding of EM radiation, such as the development of more sensitive detectors and the use of gravitational wave detectors to study the universe in new ways.