Fields and Groups: Proving a Set is a Field vs Non-Abelian Group

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a field and the difference between proving a set is a field and proving it is a non-abelian group. It is clarified that a field will never be a group under multiplication and a field requires the distributive law. The main criteria for a set to be considered a field are also mentioned.
MikeDietrich

Homework Statement

The problem asks me to determine if the matrix [p -q ## q p] is a field with addition and multiplication. However, that is not my question.

My question is: How is proving a set is a field different from proving a set is a non-abelian group (under addition then separately under multiplication)?

Physics news on Phys.org
From CRC Standard Math Tables, 15th Ed.
"A field is an integral domain in which every element except z is a unit. In other words, the non-z elements form an Abelian group relative to multiplication (X).
Example 1. Therational field consiting of ordinary fractions, addition, and multiplication.
Example 2. The se of all real numbers a + b[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], a and b rational. Then
(a + b[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]) + (c + d[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]) = (a + c) + (b + d)[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and
(a + b[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]) X (c + d[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]) = (ac + 2bd) + (ad + bc)[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]."

sorry... I meant "Abelian" not "non-Abelian" (for some reason, I cannot edit my original post). Thank you Mark.

A field will never be a group under multiplication- the additive identity never has a multiplicative inverse. Also, a field requires the distributive law a(b+ c)= ab+ ac which involves both addition and multiplication.

What you DO have is that F is a field if and only if
1) F is an abelian group for addition
2) F\{0} is an abelian group for multiplication
3) the distributive laws hold.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking to know!

1. What is the difference between a field and a non-abelian group?

A field is a mathematical structure that satisfies the properties of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also has a commutative property, meaning that the order of operations does not affect the result. A non-abelian group, on the other hand, is a mathematical structure that satisfies the properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse, but does not necessarily have a commutative property.

2. How can you prove that a set is a field?

To prove that a set is a field, you must show that it satisfies all of the properties of a field. This includes showing that it is closed under addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, that it has an additive and multiplicative identity, and that every element has an additive and multiplicative inverse.

3. What is the importance of proving a set is a field?

Proving that a set is a field is important because it allows us to use the properties of fields to solve complex mathematical problems. Fields are also used in many practical applications, such as cryptography and coding theory.

4. Can a set be both a field and a non-abelian group?

No, a set cannot be both a field and a non-abelian group. This is because a field must have a commutative property, while a non-abelian group does not. Therefore, a set cannot satisfy the properties of both structures simultaneously.

5. What is the process for proving a set is a non-abelian group?

To prove that a set is a non-abelian group, you must show that it satisfies the properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. This can often be done by directly verifying each property with specific elements of the set or by using logical arguments and mathematical proofs.