Photon Red Shift Energy losses in expanding universe theories

In summary: In an expanding universe, space-time is not flat.In summary, the conversation discusses the evidence for an expanding universe, specifically the redshift/distance relationship of objects. The question is raised about the loss of energy in photons emitted from these objects and how it relates to the conservation of energy on a cosmic scale. Different perspectives on energy conservation in General Relativity are discussed, with the conclusion that energy is not a conserved quantity in this theory. However, the stress-energy tensor is conserved, taking into account the possibility of coordinates changing from place to place. The eventual balancing of the energy budget is mentioned, as photons redshift away to zero in an expanding universe. It is also noted that time is meaningless from the perspective of a
alexjbuck
The evidence points to an expanding universe, we tell this by looking at the redshift/distance relationship, objects further away are receding faster, with their redshift and distance at an almost linear relation.

My question is, the photons emitted by those objects that we are just now observing were emitted at significantly higher frequencies (and thus higher energies!) than we are seeing them, so where did the energy go?

E=hf

So a photon emitted at f1 and received at f2, ( f1 > f2 ) has energy E1 > E2 unless something is happening to Planck's constant...

Space news on Phys.org
In the Newtonian point of view, the energy lost of redshifting photons goes into PdV work in expanding the universe.

In the relativistic point of view, because the FRW metric doesn't have a timelike Killing vector, there doesn't exist a conserved energy, and there is thus no reason to expect photons to conserve their energy.

so... on a cosmic scale there is no such thing as conservation of energy? What explains why we do observe conservation effects on smaller scales then?

As a consequence of Einstein's equations, the stress-energy tensor is divergence-less, which implies local conservation of energy-momentum.

I recall a Scientific American article about exactly this question not too long ago (surely within the year). I don't have the qualifications to judge the merit of the article, but I'll tell you what I (vaguely) remember.

I think the author's viewpoint was that, no, they do not lose energy in violation of the 2nd law. The reasoning involved something to do with the observers (relativistic) perspective; that just as the whistle of a train flying past you changes pitch without gaining/losing energy, light changes color in the same fashion. Although I wouldn't put too much trust in my memory if I were you...:biggrin:

alexjbuck said:
so... on a cosmic scale there is no such thing as conservation of energy? What explains why we do observe conservation effects on smaller scales then?
Well, sort of. You can recover conservation of energy if you include gravitational potential energy (which is not usually done). For the most part, though, in General Relativity energy is simply not a conserved quantity. This comes out by necessity from two facts:
1. The energy of a particle is a coordinate-dependent quantity.
2. General Relativity allows you to use any coordinate system you like.

These two statements mean that no matter your physical system, you can write down a set of coordinates where energy changes in time, or where energy doesn't change in time. Whether or not energy changes in time, then, is completely arbitrary in GR.

What we have instead is the conservation of the stress-energy tensor, which contains energy, momentum, pressure, and twisting stresses. This tensor as a whole is conserved in a particular fashion, a fashion which takes into account the possibility of coordinates changing from place to place (for example, one degree of longitude near the pole of the Earth represents a very different distance than one degree of longitude near the equator).

Anyway, for a more detailed look into energy conservation in General Relativity, this is a great read:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/PhysFAQ/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

IMO, photon energy is conserved. I agree EC is not required by GR, but, I think that is a mathematical artifact. Photons in an expanding universe are time dilated, hence, must appear to lose energy. On the other hand, given enough time, they eventually balance the energy budget.

Chronos said:
IMO, photon energy is conserved. I agree EC is not required by GR, but, I think that is a mathematical artifact. Photons in an expanding universe are time dilated, hence, must appear to lose energy. On the other hand, given enough time, they eventually balance the energy budget.
How do they eventually balance the energy budget? They redshift away to zero...

Chalnoth said:
How do they eventually balance the energy budget? They redshift away to zero...

Do I have it right that photon density is already very close to zero, less than some 0.01% of overall lambda-CDM energy density?

Jorrie said:
Do I have it right that photon density is already very close to zero, less than some 0.01% of overall lambda-CDM energy density?
Depends upon what you mean by near zero, but yes, less than 0.01% of the overall energy density is correct.

A photon never gives up its energy until it interacts with matter. So, who you going to believe, the clock bound perspective of a receeding observer, or the photon? Time is meaningless from the perspective of a photon.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
A photon never gives up its energy until it interacts with matter. So, who you going to believe, the clock bound perspective of a receeding observer, or the photon? Time is meaningless from the perspective of a photon.
This makes no sense to me. Photon energy is only conserved in flat space-time.

1. What is "photon red shift" in the context of expanding universe theories?

"Photon red shift" refers to the phenomenon of light waves being stretched out, causing them to appear more redshifted, as they travel through an expanding universe. This is due to the expansion of space itself, which causes the wavelengths of light to increase, resulting in a shift towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. How does the expansion of the universe affect photon red shift and energy losses?

The expansion of the universe causes light waves to become more redshifted as they travel through the increasing distances between galaxies. This results in a decrease in the energy of the photons, as their wavelengths become longer. This phenomenon is known as "cosmological redshift" and is a key piece of evidence supporting the theory of an expanding universe.

3. Can photon red shift be observed in other forms of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, photon red shift can be observed in all forms of electromagnetic radiation, not just visible light. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. The amount of redshift will vary depending on the initial wavelength of the radiation.

4. How does the concept of "dark energy" factor into photon red shift in expanding universe theories?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to be responsible for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, more space is created between galaxies, causing an increase in the redshift of light. This expansion is thought to be driven by the force of dark energy, resulting in greater photon red shift and energy losses over time.

5. What other factors can contribute to photon red shift in expanding universe theories?

In addition to the expansion of the universe, there are other factors that can contribute to photon red shift. These include the movement of galaxies away from each other, the gravitational pull of massive objects, and the effects of cosmic dust and gas. These factors can cause additional shifts in the wavelengths of light, affecting the observed red shift and energy losses in expanding universe theories.