Angular Velocity and Angular Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the concept of angular frequency and its relation to angular velocity in the case of a pendulum. The equations governing a physical pendulum are also mentioned, with the question of the difference between the two omegas and which one is appropriate to use. The conversation also touches on the tangential speed and the definition of angular frequency. Overall, the main question is about the meaning and difference between the two omegas in the context of a pendulum.
zhaos

Homework Statement

Hi all, I am a bit confused about angular frequency, specifically in the case of a pendulum (bob pendulum or physical pendulum). Also, what's the difference between angular frequency and angular velocity?

Homework Equations

I understand that a physical pendulum is governed by the relation theta = thetamax Cos (omega*t + phi), where omega = (kappa/I)1/2, where -kappa*theta = torque. But also if I take a derivative with respect to time, I get d theta/dt = - omega*thetamax*Sin(omega t + phi). Isn't this d theta/dt also omega? But, say, when d theta/dt is maximal, d theta / dt = omega' = omega * thetamax

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, what is the difference between these two omegas? Is it even appropriate for me to call d theta / dt, omega? Additionally, the tangental speed a distance r from the center of mass is v = r*omega. But should I be using omega or d theta/dt? My textbook doesn't explain this to me. Thanks for giving this a look over.

Physics news on Phys.org
a small bump?
This was a conceptual question I had, not relating to any actual HW problem, so perhaps I shouldn't have asked it in this section.
But basically it's either omega = (kappa/ I)^(1/2) or it's omega' = omega*thetamax*cos(omega*t), where omega in the second equation is defined by the first equation. Whereas the first, angular frequency?, is a constant, the second one varies with time and is the first one multiplied by theta max. So again, I am unsure what these values mean. I understand angular frequency to mean the angular speed of an oscillatory motion if you take the circle it is tracing out. i.e., if you had an object moving at a constant angular speed in a circle, if you looked at the object from the side of the circle, you would see the object in oscillatory motion.

Thanks

What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a central point. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

How is Angular Velocity different from Linear Velocity?

Angular velocity refers to rotational motion, while linear velocity refers to straight-line motion. Angular velocity is measured in terms of an object's rotation around a central point, while linear velocity is measured in terms of an object's speed and direction of movement.

What is Angular Frequency?

Angular frequency is a measure of the number of rotations or cycles an object completes in a given unit of time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM).

How are Angular Velocity and Angular Frequency related?

Angular velocity and angular frequency are closely related, as angular frequency is equal to the angular velocity divided by 2π. In other words, angular frequency is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while angular velocity is a measure of how much an object is rotating.

How is Angular Velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular frequency by the radius of the circular motion.